2 vB's on one database.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 vB's on one database.

ok we are running a network forum. i have my cruuent vB running with mySQL on anthor server. now i would like to buy a second vB and use it for anthor site on my network but have it use the same database as the current vBulletin. heres how i see it working

i want the second vBulletin to share all the member data and such with the frist, the second vBulletin would have its own set of forums and topics and have the forums from vbulletin # 1 hidden.

this way when someone signs up for one forum they sign up on both, the sites will have nearly the same content (one for anime, the other for animationg not out of japan) but i would like to keep them seprate.

so can 2 vbulletins share the same mySQL database sitting on its seprate server?

hi ,
    im in no way an expert , but i think it'll be easier to use 2 saperate databases , at start copy all the members info for the 1st forum to the 2nd one's db , then you'll need a little hack for the register.php file that after connecting to the 1st DB and adding the line , it'll also connect to the 2nd one and also add this line .
    that was what i had in mind .
    thats the basic , you will also need to change member.php for profile updates ..

Ben

Comment

At present you can't whether you want them to share data or not, since the two would fight. The alternative would be to hack it to use prefixes for some/all table names or just use a different db.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Another solution would be to have a single vBulletin installation with forums from both boards, then create a custom interface for each baord that only displays the forums for the respective board.

I did this a while back..it was not very difficult.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X