Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Even Noob-er questions than TDATV's before ordering vB! ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shylock
    replied
    I have been with Bluegravity for about 6-7 years and never once had a problem.. in fact at the moment they have a good offer on.. Worth looking at anyway..
    Only thing is you have to E-Mail your mysql db details to them as they don't have CPanel or the likes but the support is next to none so when I asked it was done almost straight away..

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewpfeifer
    I'm not so sure about that host. I wouldn't go with something just because they're cheap, I would rather pay more every month so I know that I am getting quality support. Now, I've never used this host, so this is just an opinion. Personally, I used VenturesOnline. They are a little more expensive, but more than make up for it with their support. For the domain, I do use Go Daddy. Good experiences with them, although I haven't even had a lot of experiences with them.
    I have three sites hosted on them and they're perfectly fine. http://www.turtletips.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=805

Leave a comment:

• andrewpfeifer
    replied
    If you go with VO, you won't be disappointed.

Leave a comment:

• kabigon
    replied
    I concur. I took a look at that web site, and it's just too cheap ... I can just imagine service outages, slow access, or the company disappearing altogether overnight ... :P

Currently trying to decide between Ventures Online, vBulletinHosting, and RackNine ... but of course that's a question for the Hosting forum!

Leave a comment:

• andrewpfeifer
    replied
    Originally posted by filburt1

So much cheaper too...this little pair that I used for another site works great for vB:

http://www.discount-hosting.com/
    http://www.godaddy.com/

So if you get a leased license, you'd only be paying about $100 the first year.
    I'm not so sure about that host. I wouldn't go with something just because they're cheap, I would rather pay more every month so I know that I am getting quality support. Now, I've never used this host, so this is just an opinion. Personally, I used VenturesOnline. They are a little more expensive, but more than make up for it with their support. For the domain, I do use Go Daddy. Good experiences with them, although I haven't even had a lot of experiences with them.

Leave a comment:

• Shylock
    replied
    I had a problem with my host.. didn't have CPanel .. but a quick email and telling them the DB details and all was go go go.. AND I know absolutly nothing about mysql.. (I do know a bit about CGI but that didn't help much..) so all in all, with the help you get from the guys in here, you can't really go wrong..

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    Originally posted by kabigon
    Wow. This sounds much simpler than I was expecting. Thanks for the info!
    So much cheaper too...this little pair that I used for another site works great for vB:

http://www.discount-hosting.com/
    http://www.godaddy.com/

So if you get a leased license, you'd only be paying about $100 the first year.

Leave a comment:

• andrewpfeifer
    replied
    No problem, if you have anymore while you're setting it up please ask.

Leave a comment:

• kabigon
    replied
    Wow. This sounds much simpler than I was expecting. Thanks for the info!

Leave a comment:

• andrewpfeifer
    replied
    If you have CPanel, you can just go in there and setup a database and then a user/pass to access it. It's really easy.

Leave a comment:

• kabigon
    replied
    ?!?!?!

What about installing the SQL database that the forum runs on?

I know you have to choose a host that offers the MySQL software on their server - but don't you have to install the actual SQL database that represents your forum before you can use vBulletin? Or does vBulletin somehow do that automatically the first time you run it or something?

Leave a comment:

• Joe
    replied
    Its amazingly simple, you will need to edit a config.php file, maybe 5 - 6 lines? (enter stuff like your email, username, password, host info etc). Then goto the URL in your browser, agree and hit next or continue a dozen or so times. Your done.

Leave a comment:

• Even Noob-er questions than TDATV's before ordering vB! ;)

Noob, as in currently not using ANYTHING ... I just have an idea for a community I want to create. I will NOT use EZBoard for reasons which should be obvious to anyone who has ever posted on a forum hosted there.

I've already decided that, if I go through with this, it will be with vBulletin, simply because I've been on dozens of message boards using all the major forum software packages, and I find vBulletin to have the best experience from the standpoint of the user.

My only question, really, is how difficult is the software to install and set up, and how do I do that if I am not using my own box, but buying hosting services from a hosting company?

The good news is I am a network administrator, so I know all the network stuff, like how to use telnet and ftp, how DNS works, etc.

The bad news is I don't know any web "programming" - no PHP or SQL, and hardly even any HTML (yeah, yeah - I don't know how I missed that either).

If I just bought the license and signed up with a "do-it-yourself" host like Ventures Online, would I be able to get it up and running by myself? Or with my level of noobage, would it be safer to go with vBulletinHosting's "do-everything-for-you" ASP service (which is more expensive, of course)?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has!
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X