ASP hosting to leased license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASP hosting to leased license

I currently have an ASP hosted VB. My host, vbulletinhosting, is incredibly unreliable. I am so disappointed I can't even begin to go there. Anyway, I want to change hosts. Here is what I think I am supposed to do. Please tell me if I am correct in my thinking.

1. Purchase leased license from VB.
    2. Give VBhosting my license info so they will give me access to the files I need to backup my current DB.
    3. Obtain new host.
    4. Upload VB.
    5. Import (?) my DB.

Am I correct or way off base? I really appreciate your help

Jen

I don't honestly know if you have SSH or Telnet access with the ASP version. I doubt it, but if you do, you don't need to give vbulletinhosting your new license info, you can just follow the instructions at http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

If you don't have SSH/Telnet access at vbulletinhosting, just ask them for a dump of your database. That's what you need to transfer.

Comment

Thanks Unfortunately, I don't have access to the files. Hopefully they can do a dump for me. Actually, that is the very least they should be able to do

After I get the dump of the db, do I just install the purchased VB onto the new host's server then upload my current database?

Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

Don't do an install once you have it on your new server upload the files, enter the new database info in config.php then go into ssh

and type

mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD DATABASE < forumsbackup.sql

which will install the import into the database and you should be all sorted.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X