VBulletin and Web Hosting Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBulletin and Web Hosting Requirements

I'm currently looking at buying VBulletin but have some questions regarding the web hosting requirements.

I'm looking at getting a dedicated server at www.rackspace.com which would be a 650 AMD processor with 512mb of ram.

I did a search on here and noticed that some people that had hosted with rackspace.com said they had some problems with VBulletin.

My question is 512 mb of ram enough?

Is it ok to host VBulletin on an AMD processor?

I believe that the Pentium III or above processor is supposed to be better for mySQL but on a windows server. Does anyone know if that applies on a linux server as well?

The people at Rackspace said they werent familiar with VBulletin so they couldn't offer me any help other than saying that since I had 512 mb ram that there shouldnt be a problem.

I also will have a banner script that uses mySQL as well as another main part of my site using a mySQL program. So I don't want to end up with problems because of too much mySQL running on an AMD processor.

well it depends on what kind of configuration and setup you will have on the server as well as the kind of forum/site activity you will anticipate.

for mysql loves lots of memory, fast scsi disks and cpu power comes third in the equation of importance.

i've been hosted on rackspace.com before back in mid 2000 for 6 months on a AMD K6/2 500mhz 384mb ram and 10gb eide hdd webmin server and my vB would always crash every few days and rackspace never managed to find out why and back then i didn't know as much about vb/mysql as i do now - back then i used older versions of php and mysql 3.22.x

now a days new versions of php 4.1.2 and mysql 3.23.39a probably make a difference.

An intel pentium 3 cpu would be better on both windows and linux and i haven't heard anything bad about AMD's new XP/MP range of cpus.

how many members, concurrent users, visitors/day and pageviews/day would you be expecting ? how many new members/day would you expect ?

bear in mind rackspace.com from when i was with them, every hardware upgrade involves an additional setup fee + additional monthly fee added to your initial monthly fee which can add up after a few upgrades on an already dated server

some web hosts only charge a once of setup fee for upgrades which is more cost effective
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X