disk space usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disk space usage

How much space does vBulletin take up with a board having about 130 registered members (probably 50-80 active members), 25,000 posts (average of about 365 posts per day, this coming from my average this month so far), and about 2,500 threads?

Thanks.

My forums have these stats:
    Registered Members: 1,814
    Threads: 4,186

4 megs of html/php/images
    and my database backup is about 50 megs uncompressed.
    What do you Listen-To? http://www.listen-to.com

i <3 vBulletin.

Comment

hmm.. thanks

I'm just trying to figure out wtf is taking up 500MB of space (my quota) on my hosting account. I didn't think it could possibly be vBulletin, but my actual site (collinraye.net) does not even come close to using up that much space, and my other stuff I have on there (personal page, my son's page, some pages i'm working on, etc) is small amounts as well.

Comment

weird

are you on a linux server?
        if so -- telnet / ssh to your site, go to your home directory
        and type

du -ch .

it will tell you, directory-by-directory how much space each directory is taking up... it could help you narrow down the space hogging files..
        What do you Listen-To? http://www.listen-to.com

i <3 vBulletin.

Comment

I've already tried it (last night when I first discovered this), doesn't work because my host does not allow use of most commands. For instance... I tried to use whereis to make sure of where perl was (it was /usr/bin/perl on my old server with them, but I thought it might've changed when I switched servers so wanted to check), and can't use that either.. grrrs.

Comment

Re: disk space usage

Originally posted by riiibbiit
            How much space does vBulletin take up with a board having about 130 registered members (probably 50-80 active members), 25,000 posts (average of about 365 posts per day, this coming from my average this month so far), and about 2,500 threads?

Thanks.
            With vB there is 2 different types of disk space usage.
            1. web space - for php/html/image files and you vB files
            2. mysql database space - which is separate from web space in that the mysql database space resides on a different partition from web space on nearly all web hosts.

When you use vB, you have to take into account, both web space and mysql database space. vB 2.2.x consists of

1. php/image files in the zip file you download = 1.65mb in size once the vB zip file is extracted and uploaded to your web site account.

2. mysql database space which holds your vB data.
            - on initial install the mysql database space used is ~2mb which is mainly the database table structure and initial data in the database tables.
            - once you start posting, adding threads, members, polls, private messages, attachments, avatars etc, your mysql database space is the one that mainly grows and should be your main concern - mysql disk space.

How much mysql disk space is used is highly dependent on the type of forum you run, and such factors as
            - your avergae allowed attachment and avatar size
            - how many attachments and avatars you have stored in your vB database
            - how many private messages you have stored in your vB database from members
            - how many posts and threads you have and the size and variables you have set for your searchindex
            - how many members you have
            - how many forums you have
            and so on.
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I understand that, but it doesn't seem possible that either the database or the other things could take up 200MB total considering that my board is not that large.

My database is less than 40MB and I highly doubt that the other stuff is 160MB.

I'm just going to cut vBulletin out of my list of what it could be.. my host probably screwed up again -- a few weeks ago something similar happened.

Thanks to both of you.

Comment

also log files can take up web space i.e. if you use cpanel powered host check your /home/username/tmp directory for log files
                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Thanks for your help

I just think it's something stupid now, nothing to do with vBulletin. I logged into my control panel just now, and now here's what I see:

Disk Used/Allocated 379.2 MB / 600.0 MB

rotf.. I'm only suppose to have 500MB. I'm not going to complain, I give up

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X