X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by wluke
    If it is any consolation to you, I took the current vBulletin 3.0 Alpha style and converted it to a version of SitePointForums.com's style in oh about 5 minutes...

Haven't touched any templates yet but except for the header and footer, haven't changed much over there either.
    That's good news, thanks.

I need to know what I'm doing first though. I still have to learn what's involved, and what has been incorporated into 3.0, and basically EVERYTHING about vBulletin on the back end. I know *Zero* about it, other than what I've been reading in the forums for the past year and a half as a lurker. But I've been customising vB "on paper", feature-wise, for a long time, and have been creating my site around vB at times. It's good to know that a lot of what I had to do/add/hack is now going to be taken care of in 3.0 out-of-box.

I'm sure I'll post more than my current 15 mo. total in the first couple of days after the purchase.

{pucker}
    (BTW, this forum and SitePoint are the two forums I've been visiting everyday for that same time span. I can't go without either... Congrats on one of the best forums ever, and the best web design forum.)
    {/pucker}

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    If it is any consolation to you, I took the current vBulletin 3.0 Alpha style and converted it to a version of SitePointForums.com's style in oh about 5 minutes...

Haven't touched any templates yet but except for the header and footer, haven't changed much over there either.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by smachol
    Actually during the vB 2.0 beta testing period, betas were released for download in the Members Area. I'm not sure what the plan is for version 3.0 yet.
    I'll pay extra if I have to, because I need to get a head start on the massive customising (er, and learning how to customise ). I've been hoping for a Halloween unveiling for the site.

I don't quite remember the last time I've been faithful to a brand I don't even own yet. It's been gruelling year, but it figures that after I finally got back to work and now can afford the darn thing, I can't even get it. Heh-ha-ha-yeheh.. <cackle, gibber, drool, bang head>

Well, I have no doubt that it will be worth it, whenever it arrives...

Thanks for the info. My fingers and nards are crossed.

Ouch.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by FireFly
    Openning beta.jelsoft.com means you can use vB3, but still not download it. Release candidates will be released to the public when it's ready.
    Aw.....crap.

Well, it's too late for to bother adapting my design to another forum, so here's hoping something will be released in June. (So much for a beta in 'spring/summer' - this recent mention of the F-word ("Fall") sure puts a damper on things.)

Maybe after I win the $34 mil this Friday I'll throw money at Jelsoft for a working copy to fiddle with.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Actually during the vB 2.0 beta testing period, betas were released for download in the Members Area. I'm not sure what the plan is for version 3.0 yet.

Leave a comment:

• Chen
    replied
    Openning beta.jelsoft.com means you can use vB3, but still not download it. Release candidates will be released to the public when it's ready.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    started a topic "Usable" beta?

"Usable" beta?

I know there's a chance there will be a beta in June(ish)/Whenever, but since I haven't been an owner during any other betas I'm not sure what this means for end users.

Will we be able to USE it, or will the beta be 'Eyes Only' on the Jelsoft sites?

I've been holding up further development on my site until the new version is out, because there's little sense in buying/using 2.x and then scrapping everything to start over, especially when I'm learning how vB works for the first time. I don't care how buggy or incomplete a beta version is, I just want something of the new incarnation so I can get a head start on development.