Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why won't vbulletin go all the way free?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why won't vbulletin go all the way free?

They are a great board but costs, If they would go free they would get alot more people.
    Yes
    18.75%
    No
    81.25%

I agree that they would get alot more people to use vBulletin because it's the best forum software around. That's also why it costs money.

There are always free boards you could use as a substitute for vBulletin, though.

Comment

Of course if General Motors ever decided to give away Corvettes, I'm sure they'd get a lot more people too!
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

yup, i think their prices are pretty cheap for what you are getting and the support is great. But they working long and hard on the php scripts and the template system thing every day. This is their job so i think they have a right to expect people to pay for it. If it went free they wouldnt be getting anything out of it. If you want something that is a bit like vBulletin but free, try wBB 1.1.1 [wBB2 is not free] i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post the link though

Comment

If it was free then the team members wouldn't be paid, and there would be a much greater opportunity for them to leave to work on other projects. AFAIK this is what happened to IkonBoard.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Re: Why won't vbulletin go all the way free?

Originally posted by lakings
            They are a great board but costs, If they would go free they would get alot more people.
            Get a second paper route.

Comment

Re: Why won't vbulletin go all the way free?

Originally posted by lakings
              Yea, I'm sure you wouldn't minde getting way more people in exchange of spending all day everyday writing PHP files and paying for a dedicated server.

Comment

also, just making vBulletin free wouldnt be very fair on existing customers who have paid, which would mean they would want their money back. Anyway nothing's free in this world, things may seem so but they arn't. For example, when you are buying a magazine it may say FREE DEMO-DISC! but you are really paying for the demo disc as well. Most magazines with that kind of offer tend to be more expensive. Sorry if I'm rambling on.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                  If it was free then the team members wouldn't be paid, and there would be a much greater opportunity for them to leave to work on other projects. AFAIK this is what happened to IkonBoard.
                  As far as I know this is incorrect - I believe the people at Ikonboard left because they weren't getting paid - Ikonboard does have some means of making money (like priority support, etc.) but their parent company just wasn't paying them (or something like that anyway).

Anyway, back on topic: I think vBulletin should stay being a paid board. The staff of free boards do not get paid as much, and they only work on it in their free time. Paid boards generally turn out to be more feature-rich and stable. vB should stay being a paid board even if only to give the free efforts the occasional kick up the rear Which I think vB 3 will certainly do

Erm, and what's this topic doing in the vB lite forum?

Comment

to be honest Vbulletin is as just the right price. I think you get a bargain to be honest. I was not to sure on getting it at first, so i set up a Exboard account, BIG BIG Mistake, moved straight to Vbulletin. for the amount of work which go's on you can't beat the price.

Also as Millward said. Making it free means all those people who have paid will be very pissed off and would want there money back.

Comment

Moving to the Pre-Sales forum but it might be more appropriate for ChitChat I have no idea
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

free no, a large price reduction.. yes. 160 dollars for a bulliten board is crazy for a project. There are other alternatives to vbulliten that run and function at almost the same par with vbulletin and are free. I don't mind paying a prices for software as it means i'm assured of support for that software. but charging a prices for a bulletin board that rivals the prices of operating systems?? thats a little insane.

Comment

Originally posted by ccdesigns
                          free no, a large price reduction.. yes. 160 dollars for a bulliten board is crazy for a project. There are other alternatives to vbulliten that run and function at almost the same par with vbulletin and are free. I don't mind paying a prices for software as it means i'm assured of support for that software. but charging a prices for a bulletin board that rivals the prices of operating systems?? thats a little insane.
                          I don't mean to be rude here but will be frank and honest. If you feel that the value in vBulletin isn't there for the price, use a different alternative.

We don't mean to compete with the free scripts and providers. We compete with programs such as UBB.Classic, UBB.X, UBB.Threads, Opentopic, Spokes and many other community applications which cost up to $10,000. So in our target market, vBulletin is very cheap.

As for it costing more than an OS. OS software is very cheap comparitively speaking. In fact aside from games, Windows XP is probably the cheapest software package I own.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

You're entitled to your opinion, but no one is forcing you to use this software. If you dont like it, you dont have to buy it.

But seeing the 100's of others who have put down money because they feel that there is something worth givign back to the people who make this amazing software, kinda shoots down your argument that the price is "crazy".

And OS software is quite cheap these days. $99 just for WinXp?
                            You need to get out to the store more often.
                            There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

vBulletin is not a "project", it is a commercial software application.

The price is very reasonable when compared with other boards, and considering the value a board adds to a website we are probably severely undercharging.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X