Considering upgrading vB 3.8.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering upgrading vB 3.8.2

Hello, before you ask, yes I've already bought the vB5 License but this is for a friend of mine who needs his old vB3 upgraded.

The thing is my friend is considering upgrading to vBulletin 5 Connect and maybe try out the useful features like the new SEO, Mobile Friendly Themes, vB Messenger and so on. But I think he is curious if it's worth buying the upgrade for $205 is it for vB 3 or is it the full price? Because I know importing or upgrading the website can be tricky but we want the database to not get corrupted when importing. Now I know vBulletin 5 uses a different file structure than vB 3 and that the ReadMe did say not to extract the vB5 files into the vB3 existing files. But now PHP 5.6 is dead as well that vB3 cannot support PHP 7.4 and PHP 8, so we were wondering if you got any tips or important instructions we should be aware of.

Thanks.

• You don't need the vB3 files to perform a vBulletin 5 upgrade on your database.
    • You can run different versions of PHP in different directories of your server. Especially if you're using a tool like cPanel.
    • The License Upgrade fee upgrades any license to vBulletin 5.
    • The upgrade process has been through many iterations since the early vBulletin 5 days. Many steps have been optimized and updated to work around peculiarities in older databases.

My recommendations are to:
    1. Create a duplicate of the live database.
    2. Create a new directory... Call it say "vb5test".
    3. Add a handler to the vBulletin 5 .htacces to use PHP 7.2-74 in that directory. The hosting provider can help with this.
    4. Upload the vBulletin 5 files into this directory.
    5. Update the includes /core/includes/config.php to connect to your database copy. Do not use a copy of the vb3 /includes/config.php file.
    6. Run the upgrade scripts. They will determine exactly what version you're on and run all the appropriate steps. They support back to vBulletin 3.6.0
    7. Test the upgrade and play with its configuration.

Only once you have tested the upgrade process will it be time to plan an upgrade of the live site.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Alright, I'll let him know, thanks.

Comment