Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vb 4.5.2 to 5 upgrade

Hello,

I'm considering the upgrade from 4.2.5 to latest of vb 5. I have been researching the problems people have faced during the process and came across this thread:
    https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...de?view=thread.
    The thread is old and didn't find any other updates about it.

My site also uses RTL (Persian/Arabic) fonts in the forum titles. Would I face the same problem if I upgrade? Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks.

How smooth your upgrade is handled will depend on your existing data and server configurations. So I can't say that you won't have problems. You may have problems in routing. Your characters may not show correctly at all. These are issues that don't occur in new installations but you don't want to lose your data.

The major difference here is that vBulletin 5 handles UTF-8 better than vBulletin 4.X. Actually, vBulletin 4.X doesn't handle UTF-8 at all. That is where many problems come into play. One of the issues with UTF-8 is that URLs don't support them. This is per the specifications so may change in the future.

What I suggest to do is this...

Create a "test" site copy of your vBulletin 4.X installation.
    Upgrade it to vBulletin 5.
    What is the result? If it is garbled then...

Restore your vBulletin 4 database.
    Update your Language Settings so the HTML Character Set is UTF-8.
    Upgrade to vBulletin 5.
    What is the result?

If neither works, let us know. I can't really test because 1) I don't read or understand Arabic and 2) I don't have access to an Arabic database. Have asked for many over the years but understandably customers don't want to share data.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hi Wayne, thanks for the response. I'm ok sharing my database, it is huge though. ~3GB mysql dump + gz.
      I would need to remove my users personal info and some of the forums. I can even create a smaller version of it so that at least you can test.

Another question, if I purchase the new version but at the end cannot make it work, will someone from your side be able to help resolve the issues? Is there any extra cost? I have seen in other posts you have asked for SSH access. All of my servers run within docker, would that work and should I think of a different setup to be better prepare for getting help.
      If nothing worked, will I get a refund? I really want to move forward to the new version but wanna be sure about options.

Thank you.

Comment

Hello I ran into the same problem but it was a routing issue, do you know the solution or do I need to create a separate threade?!

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBartz View Post
          Hello I ran into the same problem but it was a routing issue, do you know the solution or do I need to create a separate threade?!
          Please create your own thread in the appropriate support sub-channel.

If you can't access that channel, you first need to be a licensed customer and register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please go here:

http://members.vbulletin.com/membersupport_priority.php

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

If you still have problems after doing this, send an email to [email protected]. Please include your user name, the email address you registered with and your customer number so we can fix the problem.
          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
          -
          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
          - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by reshadi View Post
            Hi Wayne, thanks for the response. I'm ok sharing my database, it is huge though. ~3GB mysql dump + gz.
            I would need to remove my users personal info and some of the forums. I can even create a smaller version of it so that at least you can test.

Another question, if I purchase the new version but at the end cannot make it work, will someone from your side be able to help resolve the issues? Is there any extra cost? I have seen in other posts you have asked for SSH access. All of my servers run within docker, would that work and should I think of a different setup to be better prepare for getting help.
            If nothing worked, will I get a refund? I really want to move forward to the new version but wanna be sure about options.

Thank you.
            We can provide help. However, getting things to work will depend on the state of you data and any modifications you've made to the software in the past. It may be that we can get it to work 80-90% with your old data but new data will work properly. Without seeing the data, I can't say for sure right now.

If you make the database available after updating your user's email to remove personal information, then we would be able to make a better determination. I say email because that is the only personal information that we ask for in a standard registration.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment