CKEditor 4 or 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CKEditor 4 or 5?

I am curious to know if vBulletin has yet to upgrade to CKEditor v5 yet? I notice that v4 will be reaching the end of life (source).

We've not yet upgraded but we do have an outstanding Improvement Request in the Tracker for this. From your link:

"development and support is guaranteed until 2023"

This allows sufficient time to work on this
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Upgrading to CKEditor 5 is a major upgrade. It would most likely be in a vBulletin 6.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        Upgrading to CKEditor 5 is a major upgrade. It would most likely be in a vBulletin 6.
        As always, thank you kindly for your follow-up.

While I am not currently an active customer with vBulletin. I propose instead of jumping onto the CKEditor 5 bandwagon, I propose Invision consider an alternative editor. There are many well-established modern editors such as, for example, TinyMCE, Froala, Quill, and Redactor, to name a few. Any of these would make satisfactory alternatives.

CKEditor may be 'old school,' but it has become bloated, larger in file size and load time. Most of the issues it encounters often have to do with responsive layouts on a mobile device and excessive load time. As mobile continues to dominate the landscape, I feel it may be prudent to focus on an editor development that has kept up successfully with the times with the least issues.

Changing the editor should not be expected in the next release (vBulletin 6). But a roadmap should be considered for a future transition. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Comment

While not Invision.... Any editor change would mean factoring in costs and the license of the editor. It isn't just a case of replacing code. Functionality has to be tested and made backwards compatible with 2 decades of vBulletin. Change isn't as easy as people have to expect. The last time we upgrade CKeditor (vBulletin 5.5.6) it triggered a review of all the editors you listed above and the upgrade to CKeditor 5. Resource wise, it was determined that upgrading to the next version of CKEditor 4 was the proper use of resources.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

While not Invision
            Oops! 😂 Being a tad lazy, I copied and pasted a post from elsewhere, as the post's contents also applied here. 😅 Sorry about that. 😥

Any editor change would mean factoring in costs and the license of the editor. It isn't just a case of replacing code. Functionality has to be tested and made backwards compatible with 2 decades of vBulletin. Change isn't as easy as people have to expect. The last time we upgrade CKeditor (vBulletin 5.5.6) it triggered a review of all the editors you listed above and the upgrade to CKeditor 5. Resource wise, it was determined that upgrading to the next version of CKEditor 4 was the proper use of resources.
            Thank you for following up with my requested inquiry (and feature request to change the editor in the future). I understand we have two (2) years to consider this, plenty of time for the development team to explore their options. In fact, that is why I made the request now, as opposed to later. I understood changing an editor would be an in-depth process and not a decision that could be made hastily. So it made perfect sense to make my inquiry now, as opposed to making this inquiry moments before CKEditor becomes the end of life.

Back in the day (long ago), nearly every project and development I know about used CKEditor. In its heyday (golden age), WYSIWYG editors were still a relatively new concept (I feel old. ), and CKEditor was considered top of the line. Times have changed.

Ideally, you want your editor not to be the focus of your development. By that, I mean to say the editor should blend effortlessly in the background as something you do not notice (an afterthought). So many developments no longer use CKEditor because the editor itself often gets in the way. I cannot count the many times when I have heard or experienced why something was not functioning right because of the editor. Or why something could not be developed or extended because of the editor. The editor (CKEditor) is not the afterthought it should be.

I am currently using CKEditor 5 in another development. I have not been amused anymore than I am with CKEditor 4. Most notably, the issues I experience have to do with how CKEditor works with mobile designs and layouts. I use only two developments that still use CKEditor (the other is not a forum, and they use CKEditor 5). In both of them, I dislike the editor (v4 and 5). Why? Because in both of them, nearly all the issues I encounter, all the bugs I stumble upon, and all lack of functionality and adaptability surround CKEditor.

I do not expect vBulletin to change editors overnight. As previously pointed out, it is not easy to change editors or upgrade editors. I do not expect an editor change in the next release. My request was for the far-off future, perhaps bulletin 6 (whenever that happens). Again, we have a whole two (2) years before CKEditor reaches the end of life. Plenty of time for the vBulletin team to explore their options available.

You'll note I did not specify any particular editor (besides a few examples I gave). My request is not to promote any specific one, only that an exploratory investigation be conducted and that vBulletin considers their options.

Comment