Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    1. The setting to use the file system as well as the location of the attachments, is stored in the database. It is very easy to for the upgrade scripts to find this information in the vBulletin object. If you're storing your attachments in a relative path (i.e. ./attachments) and not an absolute path (i.e. /var/www/sitename/attachments) then you should copy this directory into the new vBulletin 5 directory. We really just want the vBulletin 4 PHP files removed due to autoloading quirkiness of PHP and repetitive class names between the two products.

2. These steps would work. Though, I recommend upgrading a copy of your main site first. This case if there are issues dealing with over a decade of database changes, changes from addons, etc... they can be dealt with before upgrading your production site.

Leave a comment:

• dirknerkle
    replied
    1. Since the upgrade from 4.2.5 requires installation in a separate folder, how does the upgrade know about attachments that are in the 4.2.5 system using the files method?

2. If I understand all this correctly, the process to upgrade from 4.2.5 to 5.x goes as follows:
    • Unpack the 5.0 files locally on the PC.
    • Edit the config.php file in the local 5.0 with the proper server/dbname/user/pw settings
    • Upload the local copy to a new directory on the server, making sure that the directory has proper access rights
    • Start up the existing 4.2.5 system
    • Turn the forum off.
    • Make a backup of the existing 4.2.5 system (all scripts and database)
    • Turn off the 4.2.5 email system
    • Uninstall the 4.2.5 add-ins and plug-ins
    • Log out of the 4.2.5 system
    • In terminal mode, rename the directory for the 4.2.5 system to vb1-old (providing vb1 is the original directory name)
    • Rename the directory for the new 5.0 system to vb1 (or the same directory name that the 4.2.5 system used)
    • Run the upgrade script
    Is this correct?

Leave a comment:

• BasilFawlty
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

Yes that is what Wayne means.

Make a complete mirror of your database and files, make sure you amend the URL settings (you will need tools.php to do this) and also turn off email notifications in the config file.
    Amend the config file to point to the copy database.
    Then verify you have a working mirror.

Note - to comply with the license you must make the copy non-accessible from the internet. This usually means having something like an htaccess password to prevent access (simply closing the board is not sufficient).

Once you're happy with the test upgrade, you can upgrade your live site.
    Perfect! Thank you. This is exactly what I want to do.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by BasilFawlty View Post

I guess my question wasn't well stated. What I want to do (if it's possible) is not just have a copy of my exisiting database, but have a copy of the entire 4.5.2 install so that I can turn off the plugs-ins on that copy install and not have to to that on my live site. I would like to leave my live site untouched until I have completed the upgrade and had time to do some additional tweaks.
    Yes that is what Wayne means.

Make a complete mirror of your database and files, make sure you amend the URL settings (you will need tools.php to do this) and also turn off email notifications in the config file.
    Amend the config file to point to the copy database.
    Then verify you have a working mirror.

Note - to comply with the license you must make the copy non-accessible from the internet. This usually means having something like an htaccess password to prevent access (simply closing the board is not sufficient).

Once you're happy with the test upgrade, you can upgrade your live site.

Leave a comment:

• BasilFawlty
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Yes. You can create a duplicate of your existing vBulletin 4.X database and upgrade it. You can then make this your live site after the upgrade. However, if there is content added to the 4.X site, it wouldn't carry over.
    I guess my question wasn't well stated. What I want to do (if it's possible) is not just have a copy of my exisiting database, but have a copy of the entire 4.5.2 install so that I can turn off the plugs-ins on that copy install and not have to to that on my live site. I would like to leave my live site untouched until I have completed the upgrade and had time to do some additional tweaks.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Yes. You can create a duplicate of your existing vBulletin 4.X database and upgrade it. You can then make this your live site after the upgrade. However, if there is content added to the 4.X site, it wouldn't carry over.

Leave a comment:

• BasilFawlty
    replied
    Regarding the test/development in a different non-public folder. I know I need to do the upgrade with all 4.5.2 plugins/ mods uninstalled. In looking at the online manual you linked to, it seems those instructions have me turn on/off my live site, then change urls, make a database copy, etc.

As I read through the online manual for upgrading, I think I understand most of it, but have a question (and I'm not sure I can ask this in a way that makes sense, but here goes)

Is it possible to have a complete separate copy of my current VB4 install, to include a copy of the current database (with different prefixes of course ) and then turn off all the plugins in THAT install and do the upgrade? What I'm hoping to voice is to have to turn off all the plugins in my live site until after I have upgraded a copy that sites in a different directory, then when I'm finished with the upgrade to VB5 in the "non public" site, I would switch to that as my live site. Is this possible?

Leave a comment:

• BasilFawlty
    replied
    Thanks for the thorough reply to all of these questions! Much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The End User License Agreement has allowed for a test/development installation since 2001. For established sites, this is the recommended method of upgrading. And under no circumstances should you just upload the vBulletin 5 files over your vBulletin 4 files and try to upgrade. There are instructions in the online manual on this site on how to create a test installation.

1. Yes. Usergroups and Username Markup have not changed. All your custom usergroups and markup will be maintained.

2. Yes. vBulletin 5.X supports all the same Paid Subscription services that vBulletin 4 did.

3. Yes. User accounts are migrated over fully. Including their current paid subscription status.

4. Yes. In fact, it is the first version of vBulletin that supports Custom Pages. Not only can you add your own custom pages, you can modify the layout and display of every existing page in the software. This is the entire point of the Site Builder Functionality.

5. You need to upgrade PHP first. Most hosting companies allow you to run different versions of vBulletin using an AddHandler within an .htaccess file.

6. You should uninstall them before upgrading. The upgrade process will not touch database tables that are not part of a default vBulletin installation. Having extra tables that have the same name as a vBulletin 5 table will cause upgrade failure.

7. Profile Pictures cease to exist in vBulletin 5. There is only the Avatar. Avatars are migrated over.

8. All attachments and images (which are also attachments) should be migrated over. The only time there are problems is if people don't actually have the attachments available during the upgrade process. Attachment storage hasn't changed.

Leave a comment:

• BasilFawlty
    started a topic Questions about the scary task of upgrading

Questions about the scary task of upgrading

After reading through a lot of the questions and answers in these forums about upgrading, it is clear that upgrading from a long-standing VB4 install, with lots of mods, is not going to be for the faint of heart (I know enough about PHP and MySQL to be dangerous LOL). I have a few questions, and forgive me if some of these have been asked elsewhere.

The Big Question: Would it be feasible to do a "test" upgrade by making a duplicate copy of current VB4 install in a test directory that is inaccessible to the public (duplicte the files and duplicate the VB4 database) then try the upgrade there and work out any bugs before doing the upgrade on the live site? If so, are there any insights or has anyone documented the process on how to make a duplicate copy of VB4 to experiment with?

Other VB5-specific questions:

1. Can I still have Custom Usergroups and assign username HTML markup?

2. Does VB5 have built-in paid subscription function that can link to PayPal? (like VB4 does)

3. If answer to #2 is yes, will previous paid subscription data migrate over?

4. Can I create custom pages with VB5? (Does it have built in Custom pages functionality)

5. In one thread I saw, the staff said the highest PHP that VB4 runs on is 7.1x (which is what I’m using), but I read VB5 requires at least 7.2? (My server jumps from 7.1 to 7.3).

Question: If I was going to upgrade to VB5, do I need to get 7.2 running first or could I do the upgrade now then upgrade to newer PHP after the fact?

6. Do I need to remove all third-party plug-ins before upgrade or will the upgrade process take care of removing them?

7. I read that in VB5 profile pictures and avatars are now combined (whatever the profile picture is gets resized and used as an avatar. Does this mean that all my users who currently have avatars, but don’t have profile pictures (or different profile pictures) will either lose their avatar pictures, or have their avatar pictures now show up as whatever their current profile picture is?

8. Are there any concerns about attachments or images attached to posts in current VB4 being lost upon upgrade?