Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid membership and subscriptions on VB

Hello All,

1- I still have "vBulletin 4.x Forum" in my subscription since long years when I had a few websites. Is it still safe to use?

2- I am looking for way to accept payments for subscriptions and membership in website I am trying to build. Does vBulletin 4.x Forum support that? Do I need to buy something else?

My idea is to build a forum were people can share very old comics books in there which are from 1970s.
    I want to charge people who wants to be able to download the materials . If yes, then what gateways I can use?

Regards

Regarding your second question, vbulletin 5 offers subscription schemes options. You can have your members subscribe to your plans to access the forums. Payment gateway is PayPal.
    See the attached image

Click image for larger version

Name:	subs.png
Views:	41
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	4450366

Comment

1- I still have "vBulletin 4.x Forum" in my subscription since long years when I had a few websites. Is it still safe to use?
      Personally, I wouldn't use vBulletin 4.X anymore. The functionality, expandability, and stability of vBulletin 5.X far surpasses vBulletin 4.X. Plus, I don't have the patience to put in the due diligence to secure a server constantly.

The issue is that vBulletin 4.X is marked End of Life. This means that no future bug fixes will be made. Since vBulletin 4.2.5 was released four years ago, it is unlikely any critical security fixes will be made either. This is because, the maximum version of PHP that it can run with is also marked End of Life. No bug or security fixes will be made there as well. While you can get vBulletin 4.2.5 to run on MySQL 8.X, it will not do so out of the box. Changes need to be made to the MySQL configuration so it can even recognize the password in the vBulletin config.php file. As time goes on, the administrator of a webserver running PHP 7.1 and vBulletin 4.2.5 will most likely need to spend more and more time maintaining that server.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment