Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Website Hosting Services that are fully compatible with vBulletin 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website Hosting Services that are fully compatible with vBulletin 5?

Looks like HostPapa(www.hostpapa.com.au, my current website hosting service provider) isn't compatible with vBulletin 5(because I'm unable to set innodb_large_prefix in MySQL Configuration), even though they've checked the minimum system requirement page for vBulletin 5 and told that everything should be fine.. at the start.

I might be able to get vBulletin 5 running with HostPapa if I upgrade to the VPS hosting service. But first I want to know what other web hosting service are 100% compatible with vBulletin 5.
    Can you please tell me which web hosting service providers that can run vBulletin 5? (preferably more than one)

Thank you.

Hello,

We have a forum to discuss vBulletin hosting here: https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/ge...osting-options

We do not maintain a list of compatible hosts. In general hosts that meet our minimum requirements are compatible but of course some are better than others.

To be absolutely sure you can consider our Cloud Hosting package where we host and maintain the software for you.

Comment

I'm not sure how many customers are hosted in Australia so finding a recommendation for hosting there might be difficult.

There are some basic things you should require from any vBulletin hosting.

Look for hosting that uses Linux, PHP 7.2, MySQL 8.0, unlimited bandwidth, and uses cPanel.

While vBulletin can be hosted on servers that do not meet these requirements it's not a good idea.

Comment

Ask if they support MySQL 5.7+ or MariaDB 10.2.0 - 10.3.1 or MariaDB 10.4.3+. The setting should default to On for these versions and that is the recommended operation. Most hosting companies don't actually optimize MySQL on their shared hosting servers. The setting is removed in MySQL 8.0 and MariaDB 10.6.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thank for the information.

I have a problem because vBulletin 5 require "set innodb_large_prefix in your MySQL Configuration" to run the Install Wizard.
          However I'm unable to make that change in MySQL unless I upgrade to the expensive VPS hosting service according to all the website hosting service providers in Australia(at least ones I checked so far).

In MySQL 5.7.7 this value defaults to On and is deprecated(& it will be removed completely in a future version of MySQL) according to my friend.
          So it would be perfect if most website hosting service providers used MySQL 5.7.7 or newer, then I wouldn't have any problem.
          However website hosting service providers in Australia all seem to be run MySQL 5.6xx versions, therefore looks like I'll need VPS hosting service so I'm checking for different options atm..

Would it be possible for to change the vBulletin 5($249) to vBulletin Cloud($179.95) and get $69 refund?
          I'm considering that as one option since VPS hosting service fee is quite high.

Another option I have is $7.95 per month VPS service from GoDaddy, because they seem to have the lowest VPS hosting service.
          https://au.godaddy.com/hosting/vps-hosting#plans
          Would this option be suitable for vBulletin 5? Or would you recommend the higher $28.95 per month plan?
          Last edited by Gintama6888; Wed 30 Sep '20, 12:57am.

Comment

Please contact [email protected] for sales related issues like this. We cannot deal with these requests on the forum. Thank you.

Comment

Ok thanks, I'll contact sales about changing the vBulletin plan.
              (only reason I asked here is that I'm still checking for different options to solve this problem)

I have two more question,

Cheapest basic VPS service from HostPapa(my current web host provider) is $30 per months.
              However with the basic HostPapa VPS plan, the hosting will come empty and I'll need to create and setup everything. i.e.
              - I'll need to setup emails / ftp / apache / php services manually.
              - I'll also need to configure mailboxes / email account / websites manually.
              - All those set ups will be made by command line.

Q1. Would you recommend this HostPapa VPS service? Is it difficult to setup everything with command line? (I assume I'll need to at least setup follow 4 details manually by command line)
              1. Email addresses & passwords for the each email
              2. Four details required for FileZilla login (Host: & Username: & Password: & Port #: )
              3. Six details required for vBulletin config.php file (Database/dbname: & Database/technicalemail: & MasterServer/servername: & MasterServer/port: & MasterServer/username: & MasterServer/password: )
              4. Set innodb_large_prefix in MySQL Configuration
              - I assume I don't need to setup anything else?

Q2. Which operating system should I choose for the VPS service?
              Centos 7, or Ubuntu, or Debian 10

Comment

Originally posted by Gintama6888 View Post
                Another option I have is $7.95 per month VPS service from GoDaddy, because they seem to have the lowest VPS hosting service.
                https://au.godaddy.com/hosting/vps-hosting#plans
                Would this option be suitable for vBulletin 5? Or would you recommend the higher $28.95 per month plan?
                Do you know how to manage a Linux server with Apache, PHP, and MySQL? This means that the server configuration including upgrades and installing new software is a task that you must undertake. This includes making sure your server complies with all laws and regulations. Basically GoDaddy will not provide any support for the cheapest packages without additional fees. These additional fees will probably end up being higher than paying the difference for a fully managed server..

vBulletin Cloud offers a fully managed vBulletin experience for the cost of a self-managed VPS. The drawback is that if you're going to use software other than vBulletin, you will continue to need additional hosting. However, you may be able to use a lower tier service for this additional hosting.

Q1. Would you recommend this HostPapa VPS service? Is it difficult to setup everything with command line? (I assume I'll need to at least setup follow 4 details manually by command line)
                1. Email addresses & passwords for the each email
                2. Four details required for FileZilla login (Host: & Username: & Password: & Port #: )
                3. Six details required for vBulletin config.php file (Database/dbname: & Database/technicalemail: & MasterServer/servername: & MasterServer/port: & MasterServer/username: & MasterServer/password: )
                4. Set innodb_large_prefix in MySQL Configuration
                - I assume I don't need to setup anything else?

Q2. Which operating system should I choose for the VPS service?
                Centos 7, or Ubuntu, or Debian 10
                Q1 - This depends on your experience in a Linux environment. Though, I am sure there are tutorials on setting all these up that are just a web search away. I often have to use tutorials when working with my Linux installation but I eventually get the job done.

You will need to setup and configure APACHE (easier) or NGINX (harder) as a web server, install and configure PHP, install and configure your preferred SMTP/POP/IMAP email system, Install and configured MySQL. Create databases. You will probably have access to SSH and SCP (similar to SFTP) automatically. These will use your existing credentials for the server. Your primary account should be in the SU wheel group so you can manage the server.

Q2 - Personally, I would go with Ubuntu 20.04, which is a derivative of Debian. This is the latest LTS version of the Ubuntu OS and happens to be the one that I am most familiar with since I use it daily on my Windows 10 machine via WSL.
                Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 30 Sep '20, 8:03am.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Dear Wayne,

Thank you very much for the detailed information.
                  I have zero knowledge of Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL so I assume it will be difficult to setup everything on my own at the start, and also very time consuming.

So looks like changing to vBulletin Cloud(from vBulletin 5) would be easiest/cheapest/quickest way to resolve the problem, unless I can find affordable VPS hosting service with user friendly interface(cPanel?) which doesn't seem to exist.

I will contact vBulletin sales team again regarding this matter, but it would be much appreciated if you could also notify them of the situation. i.e.
                  - I'm not trying to change the plan due to simple change of mind, but due to the unforeseen technical issues(vBulletin 5 hidden requirement?) and subsequently having trouble finding suitable web hosting provider.
                  - Although I have downloaded vBulletin 5, I have not used it at all because I can't even run the Install Wizard, and I can't use vBulletin 5 in future if you just disable my CustomerID etc.
                  - Also you are getting another customer that will use vBulletin Cloud service each year.
                  (I got told that vBulletin 5 is not refundable once the software is downloaded as stated in the license agreement by Joshua G)

Obviously I want to get my new website/forum up and running asap, so I'm willing to pay extra $100 for the Branding-Free if I can change to vBulletin Cloud(from vBulletin 5). i.e.
                  vBulletin Cloud($179.95) - vBulletin 5($249) + Branding-Free($169) = $99.95

Thank you very much for your consideration.

p.s. I've already paid for 3 years website hosting service fee with HostPapa, and 2 years domain name registration fee with Vodien so I'll probably lose money on that.
                  Last edited by Gintama6888; Wed 30 Sep '20, 9:58pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X