X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    You an email [email protected] with any questions you don't want to ask on the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Gintama6888
    replied
    Also would you be able to send me a pm(or email) so maybe I can ask certain question via pm?

Leave a comment:

• Gintama6888
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    As mention above, another option is vBulletin Cloud. With vBulletin Cloud, we host your site for you. This includes a hosting, domain name (if you don't have one), security certificates, outgoing email, plus all the installation and maintenance of your site. All your have to do is manage the site and provide your service to the end users. We can even migrate vBulletin 3.8 and 4.X sites into cloud.
    Right, I didn't realise vBulletin Cloud fee also included website hosting and domain name fee.. if that's the case then I might just go for the Cloud version.
    Sorry but I have few more questions.
    Q1. I assume vBulletin Cloud version offers everything that's available on vBulletin 5? i.e. I can have identical look/layout.
    i.e. I had a quick look at https://forums.rabidbadger.io but I prefer the layout of https://hardforum.com or https://www.vbforums.com. Would I be able to make my forum similar to HardForum or VBForum?
    Q2. Would you be able to recommend me a site to search for available domain name? (i know of one atm, but not sure if it's a good one)

Again, thank you for your time.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Most hosting providers should be able to meet or exceed the minimum requirements for installing vBulletin. If you know how to use an SFTP client and a text editor plus can follow the installation instructions, you should be able to install vBulletin in less than an hour. While useful, a knowledge of Linux is not necessary to install or run vBulletin with its default settings. It would be useful to learn the basics of HTML and CSS if you want to customize the look of your site beyond the variables provided.

As mention above, another option is vBulletin Cloud. With vBulletin Cloud, we host your site for you. This includes a hosting, domain name (if you don't have one), security certificates, outgoing email, plus all the installation and maintenance of your site. All your have to do is manage the site and provide your service to the end users. We can even migrate vBulletin 3.8 and 4.X sites into cloud.

Leave a comment:

• Gintama6888
    replied
    Thank you very much for all the info Wayne.
    Sorry about the delays on purchasing but think I'm at the final stage, just trying to find half decent URL name so hopefully I'll have the website running next week.

Think I prefer vBulletin 5 because I'll get to learn about setting up the forum and make any adjustment in future if needed etc.

I have few more questions regarding vBulletin 5,
    1. If I choose any local website hosting provider, would they be able to provide all the necessary facilities to run the vBulletin discussion board? or do I need to select website hosting provider with specific requirement?
    2. As a beginner with zero experience in setting up the discussion board, do you think I'll be able to setup the discussion board(vBulletin) on my new website with the one month of ticket support?
    2. Or should I try learn a bit of basic Linux commands first in order to setup the vBulletin 5 more efficiently?

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    vBulletin Cloud includes the hosting for your forum, vBulletin License, and all installations and upgrades for the life of the contract.

vBulletin Cloud has two limitations currently. First, you cannot upload third-party modifications or styles that alter the default templates. Second, you cannot use vBulletin Markup in custom templates.

Leave a comment:

• Gintama6888
    replied
    If I choose the vBulletin Cloud option then I don't need to worry about setting up for the forum and also don't need to look for a website hosting service? i.e. 12 months of website hosting cost is also included in the $179.95 yearly license?

Is there any disadvantage of using vBulletin Cloud over vBulletin 5 Connect besides the higher cost? i.e. $249 once off vs $179.95 per year

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Gintama6888 View Post
    Would I be able to setup vBulletin 5 Connect on my own with basic website editing skills or would I also need to learn some basic Linux skills(e.g. http://linuxcommand.org)?
    Also do I to get my own Linux server in order to run vBulletin 5 Connect?
    Most web servers use Linux. Probably over 95%. So knowing a few Linux commands can come in handy. However, you will do most of your management through a control panel provided by the Hosting Provider and within vBulletin. So you won't use them often.

Leave a comment:

• Gintama6888
    replied
    Hi Wayne, thank you for the quick reply.
    I was planning on getting vBulletin 5 Connect but vBulletin Cloud also sounds very tempting.

Would I be able to setup vBulletin 5 Connect on my own with basic website editing skills or would I also need to learn some basic Linux skills(e.g. http://linuxcommand.org)?
    Also do I to get my own Linux server in order to run vBulletin 5 Connect?

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    A1. Many sites are set up like this. However, we don't disclose customer site locations without permission. You can do what you want with a redirect on the server level. If you have a cpanel site, this can be set up within cPanel. Others use their Domain Registrar. Still others will use an .htaccess file.

A2. You would have to find these through search engines. We don't recommend people copy other sites.

A3. I actually recommend vBulletin Cloud for starting sites. You can start with the Bronze package and move up as needed. vBulletin Cloud takes all the hassles of hosting, installing, and upgrading vBulletin out of your hands and puts it into ours. As for other hosting sites, any which meets the minimum requirements should work. If you choose GoDaddy, you need to have a Linux server.

Leave a comment:

• Gintama6888
    started a topic Couple of Pre-sales questions

Couple of Pre-sales questions

Dear vBulletin,

I'm planning open up my new website soon, and my website will feature the forum as main website unlike most other websites.
    Q1. Would you happen to know any other website that only use the forum for the website? if yes, could you please provide me some URL so I can check out their website?
    i.e. if my new website is called "www.abcd.com" then I plan to have auto script to take the visit straight to "forum.abcd.com", OR have a brief one page introduction of my website and have a large link for the forum "Click here to access ABCD Forum". etc

Q2. Could you please give me URL for couple of popular active forums that are using vBulletin? so perhaps that way I can try to copy their layout etc.

Q3. I'm hoping that my website(forum) can become very active and popular fast.. and for that should I look for certain website hosting company? i.e. data limit per month etc, would you recommend any website hosting company for my website/forum? Thank you.
    Also it would be much appreciated if you could provide any starter tips to make my new website active/popular asap.

Thank you very much.

p.s. at this stage, I plan to register the domain name and also purchase vBulletin within next 3-10 days and hopefully have the website/forum all running by sometime next week.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X