Me and my team are curious.

I wonder. what is the last situation. vb5. it's been so long

Thank you so much

There are no current plans for a vB6.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

What would a vB6 entail? Just trying to understand why you think a vB6 is needed over a vBulletin 5.6.3 or vBulletin 5.7.0. What would a vB6 be for you?
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I think he's saying should I buy 5.6.2 or wait until 6 comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          What would a vB6 be for you?
          I think OP was asking simply because VB5 is approaching 9 years old at this point. The user experience at its core is getting dated compared to newer, more popular paradigms in social media.

Features and trends

Non-mobile screen sizes are vast. On my 10" Chromebook, I can view one and a half posts on vbulletin.com/forums, but I can view 4-5 on twitter and 20+ on reddit. On the other end of the spectrum, VB's CMS has fixed heights and fixed widths which make it look ridiculous on a 4k display.

In today's world, body content is more valuable than metadata: reserving space for sigs, avatars and profile info isn't quite as important as it used to be. Scrolling to view content needs to be quick. Having all posts load on one page.

Newer user standards are commonplace, like markdown syntax (to live alongside bbcode) and methods to attach media like photos, videos and URLS. The recent drag-and-drop feature has helped but not fixed the issue.

Our userbase has left the site in droves in favor of subgroups on the larger platforms that offer better content display and performance. Many of them don't even remember their site-specific VB password anymore. Single signon is an idea.

To tag onto that: Users abandoning subject-specific forum sites is a common complaint across the web. How can we offer a unified experience? The old culture of siloing topics into segregated channels and "search before posting" have shifted to general chatter on single group pages. There needs to be a new understanding of what "forums" will look like in a social media world, while allowing the content to blend with the old world. I've been shopping around, but most of the competing forum products all look the same and suffer similar problems.

VB specific issues

Outside of userbase trends, the software itself could use improvement to stay competitive even against similar products.

Off the top of my head:
          • There are minor confusing UX details scattered all over. First example coming to mind, as I type this, is the "insert links" and "insert emojis" buttons near -- but not in -- the Advanced Editor bar. It's worth hiring a UX consultant to audit the entire app and identify areas for improvement.
          • I've had a few "either, or, but not both" problems. The example that comes to mind is channel page counts. The default is 20; older topics cannot be viewed past that point. I increased the page counts, but that crippled performance. A bug worth noting: When adjusting page counts in the Site Builder, even if you hit cancel, it still applies the change.
          • The Admin experience is overwhelming. On my site, using my admin-level username, I can log into the admin CP, but most features are missing. The full experience is available only on the main admin login. When using the full experience, there are some VB4 carryovers (Settings->Options->VBulletinOptions) that don't align with the rest of the admin navigation. Some of the options in The Site Builder and the Admin CP are not integrated, have some overlapping settings, and it's unclear when to log into which (e.g.: Channel settings are under Channel Options, Channel Manager, and Site Builder). We're currently facing an issue where posts with emojis are being flagged for moderation; I've given up trying to figure it out.
          • We have had some general performance issues with vb5 that do not exist with other software packages on our server. For example, sending a post can take 2-10 seconds to complete, and I see the "Working..." popup more often than I care to.
          I'll stop before this starts to look like a rant. I don't mean to trash the software. It's very powerful, but given its age, it is suffering from some bloat. The point I am trying to drive is: what is planned for the future? UX changes to align with the popularity of social media? Stay the course with feature additions, consolidate and retire features, or a full rewrite?

Comment

my2cents/

I'm in a bit of a different boat. My users are coming back but not all are happy with the user experience particularly with attachments. Most want a much better Lightbox, better video embedding etc. Otherwise most are happy with the general site.

I have some pet peeves. Redundancy and too many clicks to see notices or messages. Clicking attachments seems to save between post but the albums doesn't. There should be some sort of module to show albums or newest.

I've converted Groups which no one liked to Clubs and now its an area that is really busy. As clubs though they need some more work.

Overall the biggest issue I and my users have is the crappy display of content. We need a much better Lightbox, we need more control on how images, albums, attachments, are displayed.

One other BIG issue I have dealing with content is. if a user posts 100 or 200 images in a thread vb tries to load them all and not in post segments which on my site is 50 images per post. Each post when clicked should open the next batch.

/my2cents

Comment

Originally posted by spiderweb View Post
              my2cents/

I'm in a bit of a different boat. My users are coming back but not all are happy with the user experience particularly with attachments. Most want a much better Lightbox, better video embedding etc. Otherwise most are happy with the general site.

I have some pet peeves. Redundancy and too many clicks to see notices or messages. Clicking attachments seems to save between post but the albums doesn't. There should be some sort of module to show albums or newest.

I've converted Groups which no one liked to Clubs and now its an area that is really busy. As clubs though they need some more work.

Overall the biggest issue I and my users have is the crappy display of content. We need a much better Lightbox, we need more control on how images, albums, attachments, are displayed.

One other BIG issue I have dealing with content is. if a user posts 100 or 200 images in a thread vb tries to load them all and not in post segments which on my site is 50 images per post. Each post when clicked should open the next batch.

/my2cents
              This is good feedback. Unfortunately much of it doesn't contain anything actionable.

What clicks and redundancy? What specifically are you trying to do. How do we make that simpler for you?

Not sure why Groups would fail and Clubs wouldn't. Seems it is just a phrase change so background on the mentality of your users would be needed. Anyone can change the phrasing of what these are called on their site though. Personally, I think they are underrated and provide better community building opportunities than Forums do.

What is a better lightbox? Really, there are millions of different lightbox examples on the web. Every one of them has at least one person who thinks theirs is the best.

You mean images attached to the post? This goes too ways. People complain vociferously if all the images aren't loaded on the page at page load. People complain about page load times but less loudly. The loudest complaint gets taken care of. The photo gallery was designed to take care of this but it is rarely used. No one uses the content types. In fact many people turn them off and then complain because we don't offer that specific content type like Photo Galleries. Though, I have to ask why is the meaning of allowing a user to add 100 images to a post?

Wayne Luke

Comment

Wayne. Since about 2001 when I first bought vb my users have posted hundreds of thousands of images. We never wanted a Gallery as the forums did what the users wanted. With vb4 we didn't use albums but we did use the lightbox to easily scan though images. Nothing fancy but it worked. Now vb5 has a really good album function which my users love but all the attachments are no longer easily viewable. Problem is permissions are broken!!

In between updating to vb5 I setup MyBB and guess what its a nice little board, it has nice attachment / image handling, a a couple outstanding Lightbox addons. I would have gone with MyBB but no way no how could I get my vb attachments to import. So then I tested Invision. Its a terrific product and does all what I need and right now but it's a bit pricey. At this point I may just bite the bullet and pay them to do an import because they want my business. They also have in house mods that add all sorts of neat stuff.

So before you shut down us paying users on features that are broken, not working as expected, remember we do have options other than supporting vb!

Comment

I haven't shut down anyone. I am trying to get the feedback necessary to provide you want you're asking for. You're getting defensive and not answering my questions. This prevents me from helping. What will end up happening is that something else will become a priority for someone else. It will be easier to articulate what needs to be done and it will get implemented quicker.

I don't want to give up but I can't help if you're going to attack and threaten because I don't know what you want.

Wayne Luke

Comment

And I am going to close this because it is off topic and there is nothing else to discuss about vBulletin 6. There is another topic on Lightboxes if you wish to continue there.

Wayne Luke

Comment