This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile access to vB cloud

Will a cloud vB account auto detect when somebody on a mobile connects and then display a mobile friendly version of the forum?

I notice in the options when signing up there is a $199 mobile app available. What, exactly, does this give me? Do you create an app I can give to my users or is this what you need to pay to get the auto detection as mentioned above?

We didn’t buy the app option and our site works fine on all devices. The site is responsive to different size screens without us having done anything.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post
      We didn’t buy the app option and our site works fine on all devices. The site is responsive to different size screens without us having done anything.
      Good news, thanks. I wonder what the app option is for then?

Comment

All vBulletin 5 sites are immediately Mobile Friendly and will automatically detect mobile devices so the display reacts accordingly.

The Mobile Suite offers three distinct features not offered by the web client:
        1. Data Savings - The UI of the Mobile Apps is contained within the executable installed on the device. This reduces the amount of data that someone has to download to participate in the forums.
        2. Push Notifications - Users can receive Push Notifications of new content on your site with the Mobile Apps.
        3. Store Presence - The Apps provide a presence in the Google Play and Apple App Stores. This is often seen as a way of obtaining low cost advertising and promotion for a site.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          All vBulletin 5 sites are immediately Mobile Friendly and will automatically detect mobile devices so the display reacts accordingly.

The Mobile Suite offers three distinct features not offered by the web client:
          1. Data Savings - The UI of the Mobile Apps is contained within the executable installed on the device. This reduces the amount of data that someone has to download to participate in the forums.
          2. Push Notifications - Users can receive Push Notifications of new content on your site with the Mobile Apps.
          3. Store Presence - The Apps provide a presence in the Google Play and Apple App Stores. This is often seen as a way of obtaining low cost advertising and promotion for a site.
          OK, thanks for that. I'm still a little unclear though. I can see that there is a vB app in the google play store, if I download it to my phone will it only work if I have purchased the mobile suite for the forum? Or does it mean that the mobile suite also includes an app specific to my forum?

Comment

Originally posted by grahamj View Post

OK, thanks for that. I'm still a little unclear though. I can see that there is a vB app in the google play store, if I download it to my phone will it only work if I have purchased the mobile suite for the forum? Or does it mean that the mobile suite also includes an app specific to my forum?
            The vB app you see in the store is the one for this forum. It will not show any other forums.

If you purchase the mobile suite (so that you can run a mobile app) you will be able to publish a separate app to the two stores, that will be specific to your own forum.

You'll need an Android Developers account, plus a computer running Mac OSX and an Apple developer account.

From there you build the application in the members area for vBulletin, download the apps, sign them, and deliver them to the respected app stores.

Note the the mobile app is entirely separate from the fact that vBulletin 5 displays correctly in mobile web browsers by default, as Wayne mentioned.

The mobile app requires purchase of the mobile suite.
            Displaying vB5 forums correctly in mobile web browsers is part of the core product and requires no additional purchase.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

OK, great, got it. Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X