Transferring to gold cloud account.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring to gold cloud account.

I've looked through some other posts which have answered some of my questions but I'd like to put all/most of them in this one post to get a good picture of what I need.

I currently have a 10 year old forum running Vers. 4.2

I am considering moving it to a gold vb cloud account.

1. I see that I can transer the database which is great but are there any parts of it, (e.g. picture attachments), that can't be transferred?

2. Can the current forum/sub forum structure of my current forum be transferred and maintained or do I need to rebuild all of this in the newer channel system?

3. Will all user posts and threads be transferred into their respective places?

4. Can all my current user groups with their respective permissions be transferred?

5. Assuming #4 is possible can all current users be transferred into their correct user groups?

Basically, what I'm trying to work out is how much of my current forum can be transferred and how much extra stuff I will need to do manually to get the new one looking as much like the old one as possible.

My plan 'B' is to simply start the new forum and build it from scratch which I'd rather avoid if possible.

Hello,

1) All default VB 4.x content including posts, users, attachments, blogs (if any), articles (if any), should transfer to VB5. Calendar Entries/Events will NOT transfer to VB5 but VB5 does have its own calendar now you can use.

2) Generally forum / sub-forum structure is maintained.

3) Yes

4) Generally yes although there are slight changes in some permissions- ie permissions that no longer exist in VB5 or permission new to VB5 so you should double check them before opening the forum live but they aren't usually a problem.

5) Yes

Basically all existing user created content (other than calendar events) will transfer no problem. We can also import any custom smilies you may use so long as they are in the defaullt smilie directory and you can provide a zip file of that directory. VB5 no longer allows smilies from outside this directory.

However there is no means to transfer your VB4 styling to VB5. VB5 has a number of built in themes, you can see them by using the style selector in the bottom left of this page. All of them besides Halloween and Winter are available on vBCloud and VB5 in general. Halloween and Winter were custom designed for this site.

If you decide to move forward we would request from you a backup of the database, a backup of the attachments, a zip file of smilies (if you want them), and some basic info of your site and we would do the transfer to vBCloud.

Hope this helps.

Comment

OK, great, thanks. That answers most of my questions.

One more please:

I'm not really sure which level of cloud I'm going to need. My forum is not large as far as regular users are concerned but there is a lot of data transfer, (lots of pics). If I start of on say bronze or silver, can I easily upgrade to a higher level at any time?

Comment

Yes. If you go over your allotted bandwidth, then we will contact you and discuss upgrade choices.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          Yes. If you go over your allotted bandwidth, then we will contact you and discuss upgrade choices.
          OK, thanks.

I have yet another question: Does Tapatalk work with the cloud version of vB?

Comment

Tapatalk does not work with vBulletin Cloud.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment