X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark.B
    replied
    This is no longer pre-sales.
    To get further support you will need to associate your forum account with you vBulletin licence, and then post in the correct support forum.

To do this, please go here:

https://members.vbulletin.com/member...t_priority.php

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You will also have to select the specific forums that you wish to have access at. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

Once you've done this, please wait up to an hour for your account to be updated on the system, and then post in the appropriate support forum for your version.

Leave a comment:

• Justin123
    replied
    So i've copied eveything over to a test directory, presumably I need to change the re-direct so it's stand alone? Can I then upgrade this test forum to check all works ok first? I understand I' sill pointing to the same database, is this a problem?

Leave a comment:

• Justin123
    replied
    Many thanks Wayne. So I would duplicate my site to another directory, download the V5 upgrade and upgarde that to test before going live?

Did I just miss the offers on latest version purchase?
    Last edited by Justin123; Thu 2 Jan '20, 11:02am.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    We recommend disabling third-party addons. However since the upgrade from vBulletin 4.X involves a clean directory structure without any files carried across, that isn't a required step. If you only disable the third-party addons, it is likely that data from those third-party modification will be maintained in the database. However, the database structure for vBulletin 5 is also different so if your addons make modifications to tables that are deleted as part of the upgrade process, that data will be lost.

Your test installation would be in another directory pointing to an copy of your existing database. You would keep this separate from your live site.

Leave a comment:

• Justin123
    replied
    That's all great info, much appreciated thank you. Obviously a leap forward and sounds like I really need to do this soon. Would I need to disable any custom script or add ons prior to upgrading or will these simply not go across?

Understand about the test installation. How would i go about this please? Would I just setup a new forum in another directory?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The advantages depend on what you're looking for. vBulletin 5 has added hundreds of features and thousands of bug fixes over vBulletin 4.2.X. One of the biggest features is Site Builder. This is similar to vBulletin 4's CMS page layout but can be used on every single page within the system. Each forum channel can have its own unique page layout if you wish. Site Builder has allowed us to ship the software with over 15 standard styles and multiple landing pages to choose from. In addition to this, many features that used to require Add-Ons are already available in vBulletin 5 as well.

vBulletin 5 uses an architecture similar to MVC. As such, any code modifications within the actual vBulletin 4.X files will be lost. Those files simply aren't compatible. Even if those files still exist in the new structure, the code would most likely not work as written today. vBulletin 5.5.X remains available as a visual source product so you can review the code and make modifications to its classes. However, we prefer you extend the classes instead of modify them. It will make upgrades and troubleshooting easier.

Your existing Products and Add-ons will not transfer over. vBulletin 4 stored the code for addons within the database. Executable code shouldn't be hidden from sight like this. vBulletin 5 uses several different technologies to enable extending and customizing the system. The primary one of these are Class Extensions. Instead of storing code for an addon in the database, it is stored in the file system. This brings a number of benefits such as OS level permissions, virus checking, and easy to view code. Extensions can be used to tie code to pre-existing PHP Hooks throughout the vBulletin 5 code or to extend different API libraries with new functionality. Once downloaded, you can view example extensions in the /core/packages/ directory.

vBulletin 5 also extends the template system so that it can make direct calls to retrieve data from the database, assign it to variables, and follow different paths based on that data. Based on this, we have implemented a tool called Template Hooks. This allows you to call a specific template from pre-determined places in the code without ever writing a line of PHP. You can pass variables to these templates as well as call information from the database if you need to.

Finally, we always recommend using a test installation for any major upgrade or modification to the software. This will reduce any issues that your end-users may experience.

Leave a comment:

• Justin123
    started a topic Looking to ugrade to v5 from v4.2.2

Looking to ugrade to v5 from v4.2.2

Thinking it might be about time to update to latest version. I'd like to know what the advantages are to this. Also, we have some custom script on the current forum and mods, is there a way I can check these will transfer over ok? Would it be an idea to back up the whole site and run a mirror image first? Appreciate any advice with thanks :-)
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X