Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from 3.8.5 (Deutsch) to newest version

Hello thanks for your time!
    We are using 3.8.5 German on own server officially bought years ago from the former vbulletin-Germany site not existing anymore.
    We are now planning to upgrade to newest version.
    I have searched for 3.8.5 but there is only shown "too generic search term".
    Would it be enough for us to buy the new license and would we have access to all necessary things for upgrading?
    I have read somewhere that the upgrade needs some extra steps - which I could handle in a test installation of course.
    What I have not found yet is the exact procedure - I have am a bit confused if there is Impex needed for example.
    Many thanks for your efforts, I hope you can help me.
    Kind regards
    CarloV

If you purchase the vBulletin 5 license, then you can upgrade directly to the the vBulletin 5 German version. To include the German language pack, click "Customize Download Options" when downloading and select the language pack to be included.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks I was irritated, because I thought I need 3.8.8 for the upgrade possibility and I only have 3.8.5.

Comment

You can upgrade to vBulletin 5.5.5 from 3.6.0 or higher. We recommend that you upgrade to 3.8.11 and create a database backup. Then upgrade to 4.2.5 and create a database backup. Then upgrade to 5.5.5. All the scripts needed for this are included in the vBulletin 5 download.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Ah thats what I have read. I am wondering if 3.8.11 is also available to download after buying the upgrade? I am remembering that it was not available years ago on vBulletin Germany if I am right. Thanks for your efforts.

Comment

You can download any version once you have a vBulletin 5 license, you can only run one copy of the software per license though, regardless of version.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Perfect I hope that VBSEO makes no problems and I have no problems with URL rewriting.

Comment

Originally posted by CarloV View Post
                Perfect I hope that VBSEO makes no problems and I have no problems with URL rewriting.
                vBSEO is completely incompatible with vBulletin 5, and also with later versions of php.

It is also highly insecure with many known security exploits, as it has not been updated in many years after the authors abandoned the project.

It should not be being used on any production server.

Comment

Yeah I do not want to use it anymore! But I would like to keep the urls Thats why I need to look for a comfortable solution.

Comment

Originally posted by CarloV View Post
                    Yeah I do not want to use it anymore! But I would like to keep the urls Thats why I need to look for a comfortable solution.
                    There is no way to keep the URL structure of vBSEO.

You may be able to set up redirections to standard vB3 URLs, which should in tuen get redirected to their vB5 equivalents. However this isn't something we can support.

This post may be os some assistance:
                    https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/show...32&postcount=7

Unfortunately the whole sorry vBSEO saga proves why we always used to recommentd against using third party URL rewrite tools.
                    Last edited by Mark.B; Fri 27 Dec '19, 6:10am.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I have searched and have found many information related to this problem. Seems it is much more complicated than thought. Will do some more research if I have a better chance to redirect the "old" urls to new structure as best as possible.

Comment

Have acquired the license now. Hope I will find solution to solve the VBSEO problem the best way - I do not want to lose existing indexation

Comment

The link I provided is the best and most comprehensive information you will find on this. There is no simple solution but many have successfully followed the instructions in that post.

Comment

Thanks again. I need to look up many things, also because of change of PHP version and best way to manage, in case I have problems I will try to look and research the forum and web intensively before asking again Have a good start in 2020!

Comment