Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile ads and Paid Subscribers

Hey staff!

So after 16 years of using VB, I need to make some important decisions moving forward. I'm looking at both Xeno and VB5. I've had VB4 issues with Payment API (with the exception of Paypal) for paid subscribers and also have not been able to monetize on the mobile templates (ads) whatsoever. This has really cost me over the past two years in revenue.

Here are my questions:
    • Does VB5 currently work with Authorize.net since they moved away from Akamai SureRoute earlier this year?
    • Has VB5 fixed the API with 2Checkout and is it currently working?
    • Does the VB5 mobile allow folks to use the Paid Subscription without errors?
    • Does VB mobile allow for paid subscribers not to see ads? Do the ads work for VB5 mobile?
    Posts that I made earlier this year regarding the above (VB4):Thanks for any and all help!
    Paula

The Paid Subscription Gateways in vBulletin 5 work. If something happens, then they will be updated so they work. We try to update them before they fail.

Ads on the Mobile Apps are handled in the Mobile App, not from the server which handles Ads in the Web Interface. The interface on the Mobile Suite is compiled into the App. Ads do not have permissions in the Mobile Suite. If you use the Responsive Web Interface, Ads will follow all rules that you have defined. Even on mobile devices.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Ads on the Mobile Apps are handled in the Mobile App, not from the server which handles Ads in the Web Interface. The interface on the Mobile Suite is compiled into the App. Ads do not have permissions in the Mobile Suite. If you use the Responsive Web Interface, Ads will follow all rules that you have defined. Even on mobile devices.
      Hi Wayne! This is a bit confusing for me. So what is the Responsive Web Interface? Does this mean when someone uses the "full-version site" on a mobile device?

Paula

Comment

There is no such thing as a Full Version or a Phone Version in vBulletin 5. There are two clients for vBulletin 5 - 1) The responsive web interface (as seen at https://forum.vbulletin.com) and 2) the Mobile Apps.

Visit this site on your phone. You'll see that the site responds to your device and redraws the entire page to fit the window. It works same with tablets, desktop monitors, or large format televisions. There is one Style used for all of these devices and that is why it is called Responsive.

You can also simulate this in a Chromium based browser by pressing F12 to open the Developer Tools and then putting the tools into Responsive mode (it is a button on the toolbar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-11-12_9-29-16.png Views:	0 Size:	83.2 KB ID:	4426789

Wayne Luke

Comment

There is no such thing as a Full Version or a Phone Version in vBulletin 5. There are two clients for vBulletin 5 - 1) The responsive web interface (as seen at https://forum.vbulletin.com) and 2) the Mobile Apps
          Understood!

So to be clear, if ads are used, there is no way to prevent them from showing up to paid subscribers if they use either client?

Paula

Comment

In the Web Interface, every single module has usergroup group permissions and can be hidden from any user without permission to view it. In addition to this, Ad Modules have all the same options for display that vBulletin 4 had. The configuration and customization options in vBulletin 5 dwarf what was available in vBulletin 4 many times.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-11-12_10-08-30.png Views:	0 Size:	71.8 KB ID:	4426801

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-11-12_10-08-58.png Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	4426802

Wayne Luke

Comment

So if someone has paid NOT to see ads, I will be able to configure the two clients for vBulletin 5 (The responsive web interface and the Mobile Apps) to do this?
              Paula

Comment

You will be able to configure the Web Interface for this. As stated above, the Mobile Suite doesn't have this option.

You could charge people for the Mobile Suite as a way to compensate for now ads and maybe give coupons so your premium subscribers get the app for free. I haven't looked into. If you want permission based, ads in the Suite then you can request it in our Tracker.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thanks!

Y If you want permission based, ads in the Suite then you can request it in our Tracker.
                  How likely would it be that VB would incorporate that feature if I did so? ​​​​​​​
                  Paula

Comment

As likely as any other feature request. The Mobile Suite is created by a separate team.

Wayne Luke

Comment