Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the difference between a group and a forum?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the difference between a group and a forum?

They look very similar to me. (I'm very new to vbulletin.) When would you use one over the other?

I use them to allow people with different interests to exchange ideas. For example, Constitutional Law attorneys and Personal Injury attorneys have absolutely nothing in common so having them all communicate case studies in the same forums would be pointless. They do, however, use some of the same laws and so forums better serve that purpose.

Comment

With the proper permissions, Groups allow your community to grow in an ad hoc fashion. Individuals create and promote their own groups. Those people also moderate their groups or appoint additional moderators. For a site where the community has a lot of diverse interests, this can be a great way to build content.

Forums on the other hand are created, managed, and moderated by the Site Administrator and the people they appoint as moderators, if any.

Groups are also more scalable than forums. That is your site can support a lot more groups than it can forum channels. This is because they handle permissions a little differently. All Groups use the same usergroup permissions. If you have 15 usergroups and 1000 Groups, there will be 1000 permission records stored in the database/ Permissions for forums are stored in a logarithmic fashion. So if you have 15 usergroups and 1000 forums with customized permissions, there will be 15,000 permission records stored in the database.

Say you have a website targeted towards photographers. You can create a forum every type of photography, technology, different cameras, etc... Or you can allow your users to build Groups for the things they want to talk about.

Same with something like music which could cover hundreds of genres and thousands of artists.

In the end, it depends on what you want to provide for your community.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

thank you both.
        to simplify, what I've gotten from these is that groups are for self organizing groups of people and forums are for specific topics or areas of discussion. that and to be careful about creating too many fortune.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X