Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Export vBulletin Database without privacy information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Export vBulletin Database without privacy information?

Hi,
    excuse me for using this forum to ask the folowing question, but I was not able to create a question in the correct forum (vBulletin 3.8).

A person once run for many years a vBulletin forum, version 3.8.1
    About a year ago he took it offline. I asked him if he is willing to share the database of his old forum, so that interested people could install a new read-only forum with the threads of his old forum.
    He told me that he won't do so because he's afraid of sharing privacy information of the old forum's members (passwords, e-mail adresses, birthdays, IP adresses).

So as a possible interested person in setting up a read-only forum:
    Is there a way for the owner of the old forum to export his database - without any of the member's privacy infos? Just the text fields of the threads and the names of the members who wrote the individual posts. No further information about the members.

It would take work but he could, if he was willing, erase the emails. set the passwords to some random value, erase or replace the IP addresses... But it would take a lot of time and be difficult to know he got everything. We do not have any instructions on how to do this, but yes its technically possible.

They also would likely want to permanently delete all soft deleted or hidden posts, delete any post-edit history, and so on.

Again, possible, but time consuming and hard to justify the risk if he missed something.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X