This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the reply!

My VB4 is in my server's the root directory so i cannot rename it. So per instructions i assume i must delete all VB4 files (keep a backup of course) except for those i should keep (e.g. only the images/smilies folder because attachments and avatars are kept in the database in my case).

Then, i should upload the contents of "upload" folder of the vb5 bundle in my server's root directory, modify the /core/includes/config.php accordingly with my database details and then run the upgrade script before keeping a database backup also.

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
    run the upgrade via the command line
    I see that i should connect via SSH using for example PuTTY, go to /core/install directory and type "php -f upgrade.php" per https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade_cli. I suppose if i press enter and is everything ok i will be asked to type the Customer ID or any other info similarly to http calls with the browser and then wait for the upgrade process to complete?

Finally, 2 more questions:
    1) i notice the files "htaccess.txt" and "config.php.bkp" in the vb5 upload directory. Do i touch those files or just leave them as is?
    2) I use PHP 5.6 now, should i change it to a newer version before running the upgrade script?
    Last edited by Ryu_gr; Sun 17th Nov '19, 2:11pm.

Comment

If you have vBulletin in your root directory, then you would install vBulletin 5 in the same directory. You would still delete the vBulletin 4.X files before uploading vBulletin 5.

Upgrading via the command line does not ask for your customer ID. If you have command line access to the server, then this actually provides no security.

1) You would rename these as stated in the upgrade instructions.
      2) You cannot run the vBulletin 5 upgrade script with PHP 5.6. The minimum supported version is 7.1. In 2020, the minimum required version will be increased to PHP 7.2. I recommend upgrading to PHP 7.3 when upgrading to vBulletin 5.5.5.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        Upgrading via the command line does not ask for your customer ID. If you have command line access to the server, then this actually provides no security.
        So you would you recommend using the SSH command line? I would like to do it to avoid re-running the script on install/upgrade.php over and over again due to time-out, however if you believe the latter is the safest method, although not fastest i would choose that.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        1) You would rename these as stated in the upgrade instructions.
        So this means i would have 2 config.php files. On in root directory and one in the /core/includes/ folder. Shall i enter database connection credentials on both?

Comment

Neither is safer than the other. If you have access to your SSH then you have already validated via an encrypted password or key file. If you access via the Web, we have no idea who you are and ask you to verify your identity with your Customer ID. The customer ID prevents some schmo from the internet coming along and running the install script to delete your database.

Yes. vBulletin 5.X has two configuration files... A presentation configuration file and a core configuration file. Both are necessary for the software to work properly. The presentation file does not ask for database credentials. You shouldn't add them to it. The variables it uses are listed in the file. In 99% of instances, the only thing you need to do is rename the file as specified in the instructions.
          Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 18th Nov '19, 10:37am.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I also found "config_cli.php.new" in core/includes folder. Should i edit this one too if i want to upgrade from VB4 to VB5 via SSH instead of browser? And if yes, how do i edit it? It doesn't have fields for database.

Thank you for your patience.

Comment

"config_cli.php.new" is only used for new installs via command line which are very rare. Not necessary for upgrades, just ignore. The /core/includes/config.php must have the important information that was previously in the /includes/config.php file in VB4. Copy over the database credentials and various userids from the old file.

Comment

Thank you very much! In the end i decided to upgrade via browser and it worked like a charm without a single interruption this time! So now our forum is on VB 5.5.5 now

If you allow me, one off-topic question: Users do not get a notification when a new like is done in their posts. In Settings > Notification i see only "Enable Usermention Notifications". Can this be done on post Likes too? Sorry for the off-topic, my next questions will be on the relevant topics.

Comment

There are no notifications on Likes at this time. Please ask any further support questions in the appropriate forum.

Wayne Luke

Comment