Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-sales Quesitons

Good morning vBulletin sales!

I'm a big fan of vBulletin 4, and after a recent move I'm considering buying v5 to get updated PHP support.

That said, I have a few questions I'm hoping someone in your sales department might be able to quickly answer as I don't currently have the time to research all the v5 product features.

1- The included themes look awesome, but do any allow for a custom background picture behind the forum? Like, can I replace the gradient color in gradient with a background picture?)

2 - Is there an Anti-spam feature? I currently use Spam-O-Matic which is awesome.

3 - Is there any way to mention or tag a user? (like using the @ symbol)

4 - Can you set a default avatar for new users?

5 - Is there a recent posts block? (I currently use MarkFL: Recent Posts Block which is awesome)

6 - Is there a "post thank you" feature? (I currently use the Post Thank You Hack which is awesome)

Sincerely,

Shawn Tierney

Hello,

1) Yes you can include a background in any style/theme using style variables and/or custom CSS.
    2) Akismet and Stop Forum Spam built in but optional
    3) ShawnMTierney Yes.
    4) You can replace the default image that you see next to your name. It isn't ideal but it will work, you would need to replace it again after each upgrade. Using a replacement variable would be better probably for a way you don't have to fix it after each upgrade.
    5) You can make just about any kind of search module, the string for recent posts is here.
    6) There is a Like button. not a thank you button. You could change the phrases from "Like" to "thank you" if you had to.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
      Hello,

1) Yes you can include a background in any style/theme using style variables and/or custom CSS.
      2) Akismet and Stop Forum Spam built in but optional
      3) ShawnMTierney Yes.
      4) You can replace the default image that you see next to your name. It isn't ideal but it will work, you would need to replace it again after each upgrade. Using a replacement variable would be better probably for a way you don't have to fix it after each upgrade.
      5) You can make just about any kind of search module, the string for recent posts is here.
      6) There is a Like button. not a thank you button. You could change the phrases from "Like" to "thank you" if you had to.
      Thanks Joe

Comment

Our community also uses vBulletin 4.0.2 with the mods from vbulletin.org: MGC Chatbox, Image resizer, Advanced User Tagging and post thank you (likes).

I understand those will be lost on the upgrade if the developer does not have a version for VB5, however will we have the same features on 5? (Chatbox, like, auto image resizer e.g. force maximum width to 1024px, user mentions).

Also, these are the steps that we should follow to upgrade from 4.0.2? https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade

Our forum works well and i'm really in between the logic "if it works do not fix it" and the fact that we are on PHP 5.3 which is way too old and a modern design and technology will help.

What is your opinion? Take the step forward or remain as is?

Comment

4.0.2 is downright dangerous to be running. You should upgrade to VB 4.2.5 ASAP using the instructions you linked to in the manual for VB 4.2.5.

Your mods should continue to work or be upgradeable to 4.2.5 versions.

If upgrading to VB5 I think you are best off following the upgrade instructions in the vb5readme.html file in the .zip package.

Be aware unlike VB4 upgrades you must upload your VB5 files into an empty directory. Existing VB4 files and folders will break the VB5 install.

You will need a copy/backup of your VB4 files in order to copy over necessary info from the /includes/config.php file to your vb5 /core/includes/config.php file.

You likely will need to copy over the customavatars directory, custom smilies (if any) and other custom graphics though all custom styling will be lost.

Your file attachments, if within the forum directory, will need to be copied over as well prior to running the upgrade.php script. If attachments are in the database or stored in a folder inaccessible directly by web browser (above your website root directory) as would be best practice, than you do not need to copy the attachments over.

There is no chatbox build into VB5. It has vB Messenger but that is more like an Instant Messenger rather than a chatbox.

It does have auto image resizes but it will only reduce a large image to fit, it will not enforce a minimum image size.

User mentions like Ryu_gr are built in.

The built in Like system can take over for the Post Thanks mod but it will not import old thanks as likes.

Comment

First of all thank you for the reply. Could you clarify the following:

Your file attachments, if within the forum directory, will need to be copied over as well prior to running the upgrade.php script. If attachments are in the database or stored in a folder inaccessible directly by web browser (above your website root directory) as would be best practice, than you do not need to copy the attachments over.
            This sounds pretty important. Could you tell me how to know what method i'm using in my 4.0.2 version? (e.g. look into somewhere in admincp)?

You likely will need to copy over the customavatars directory, custom smilies (if any) and other custom graphics though all custom styling will be lost.
            This means that all the avatars set by our users need to be moved? Or those work like the attachments which means i must take care the issue of the previous question? For the smileys, i remember manually inserting them into a directory, so i understand i must move them.

There is no chatbox build into VB5.
            Do you happen to know any popular chatbox VB5 mods in vbulletin.org? I know some users claim that public chat in a forum limits the post discussions but our community seems to like it, so it is important for us.

You should upgrade to VB 4.2.5 ASAP
            For your information i would like to but i cannot. We had purchased vbulletin 3, sometime 4.0.2 was available in our members area for a limited time. Probably a temporal bug that we (erroneously) took advantage of it. Now it is gone and only vBulletin 3 is available. So we aim to go directly to VB 5 connect.

For the record, this is our forum: gamers-odyssey.net

Comment

Hello,

To see where your attachments are being stored go to the Admin CP -> Attachments -> Attachment Storage Picture Type. If it says "Attachments currently stored in the database" you don't need to worry about attachments. If it says attachments are currently store at /home/xxx/path/somewhere then it depends where the attachments are stored. If public_html or www or htdocs (or whatever your website root folder is) is part of the path, then files will likely need to be copied over before upgrading. If public_html or website root is not part of path then again you are OK and don't need to worry about it. If unsure, post the path here but change any custom username that might be part of the path to just USERNAME to prevent anyone from knowing your URL structure.

With avatars go to Admin CP -> Avatars -> User Picture Storage Type. If avatars are in the database, again you are OK. If avatars are in a path like /customavatars/ then you need to copy the /customavatars/ folder from VB 4.x to VB 5.x directory. If you have avatars uploaded to your board that users can select from that is no longer supported by VB5 but if you copy that directory over as well current users won't lose existing chosen avatars.

I am not aware of a popular chatbox mod for VB5.

As for the reason you can only run VB 4.0.2 I understand your license doesn't have access beyond that because you had a VB 3.x license but that isn't going to stop the site from being hacked and/pr user data stolen. You should purchase the VB5 upgrade to get the VB 4.2.5 version an upgrade ASAP or secure the site with an .htaccess password and keep it from public access until such time you can upgrade to a secure version of the software.

Comment

Thank you for the thorough answers.

I understand your concern about security, however if we buy VB 5 connect we will upgrade directly to the latest version of 5, that is:
                VB 4.0.2 > VB 5 and not VB 4.0.2 > 4.2.5 > VB 5.

Do you think that there will be a problem with this approach?

Comment

You can upgrade from 4.0.2 to 5.5.X directly. However, upgrading to 4.2.5 first gives you an intermediate spot so you can create another database and have a better starting point for upgrading to vBulletin 5. The vBulletin 5 upgrade process can be a long one due to migrating all your data to new storage formats. That interim step allows you to save some time if something goes wrong during the process.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Thank you for the advice.

Whichever process i take, i will first go to "Settings > Options > Turn your vBulletin On and Off" and turn vBulletin Off.

Of course, if everything goes well with the new version, i will be able to turn it on again using the newest admin version, right?
                    Last edited by Ryu_gr; Sun 30th Jun '19, 5:12am.

Comment

Yes, it will be at the same place in the Admin CP.

Be sure you do a FULL SITE BACKUP before any upgrade.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. Whichever process i take, i will first go to "Settings > Options > Turn your vBulletin On and Off" and turn vBulletin Off.

Of course, if everything goes well with the new version, i will be able to turn it on again using the newest admin version, right?
                        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 2nd Jul '19, 7:45am.

Comment

Sorry I thought I responded to this. Yes you can turn it back on, it's even in the same place in the new Admin CP.

Comment