Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Peabody
    replied
    I also had "Use Remote jQuery" set to Google which by that site created a significant delay. I've set it to None and have noticed a significant speed increase when posting, editing, moving etc.
    I'll talk to the server op about the mod_headers etc
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Here's a link to my results
    https://developers.google.com/speed/...earcade.com%2F
    I'm not in IT so I don't know how to decipher the results but they don't look good in some areas.

Edit: Great resource though I've been able to fix several issues.
    You should use mod_headers or mod_expires on your server? These implement caching of resources to speed page delivery. This is defined in the .htaccess file we provide.

Storing your CSS in the file system will also speed up page delivery as you'll bypass the vBulletin template engine for these files.

Not counting the forum list, you have seven search modules on your home page. Each of these uses resources and can add to loading time.

You can lower the DOM size of the page by reducing the number of channels shown to 2 levels instead of 3 in the main module. More elements on the page will slow down your site.

We should probably add the passive status as suggested in your report. An option to hide user avatars in the Main Forum Listing module will speed it up as well.

You can compare your report to one for this site.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Peabody
    replied
    Here's a link to my results
    https://developers.google.com/speed/...earcade.com%2F
    I'm not in IT so I don't know how to decipher the results but they don't look good in some areas.

Edit: Great resource though I've been able to fix several issues.
    Last edited by Mr Peabody; Fri 31 Jul '20, 2:10pm.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Lathe198 View Post
    so, in a way or another, SMTP is mandatory? thanks
    It is only mandatory in that it provides better performance and security over using the base email service built into PHP and the mail app. Though, you'll probably get better performance boosts simply by maintaining the latest version of vBulletin 5. Since vBulletin 5.4.2, we have refactored dozens of legacy files, rewritten queries with issues, refactored Javascript to improve performance and reduce file load, and many other issues. About 1300 changes to the software in the last two years.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by Lathe198 View Post
    No, not in any way at all. But if your server cannot handle the volumes, that's the best solution.

Leave a comment:

• Lathe198
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    How many moderators receiving these emails do you have?

If you're not using SMTP, then it will take time to process the list completely. Overall the solution it to upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin and use the SMTP server provided with your hosting plan instead of the unauthenticated default mail server.

Leave a comment:

• Errol
    replied
    Errrm yah so it happened again and we we sorted this like such below: not sure if it will help others but it solved our issue, hope it helps someone else lost out there....

Moderator Permission - > Edit permission

Make sure
    Receive Email When a New Topic is Created
    Receive Email When a New Post is Created - Set as No

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by Errol View Post
    We are having exact same experience with same version
    The advice above is the same. We can only provide support to the license holder.

Leave a comment:

• Errol
    replied
    We are having exact same experience with same version

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The site owner should upgrade to the latest version. If the issue continues, they will need to visit this site to obtain support.

Leave a comment:

• Dreamskape
    replied
    Thanks.

The site itself is fast the problem is when someone tries to post to the forum that they get the lag.
    Last edited by Dreamskape; Mon 18 Feb '19, 12:05pm.

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    replied
    You need to run a test to see what exactly is slowing your site before you can know how to fix it.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Leave a comment:

• Dreamskape
    started a topic vBulletin 5.4.2 slow post times

vBulletin 5.4.2 slow post times

Hello. I am a moderator for a site that is using vBulletin 5.4.2. Our users are experiencing extremely slow post times (up to a minute). What needs to be done to correct this?

Thank you.