Question on User Groups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on User Groups...

I'm trying to decide between vBulletin and phpBB... cost isn't an issue, there's just one feature that I really liked about phpBB and if vBulletin has it, I'm sold.

phpBB has the ability to create User Groups, and a moderator can add people to the group, or if I'm not mistaken, I think people can join a group as well. This group can also be used to e-mail everyone in that group, as well as using it to assign permissions. This is like a built-in list server and I love this idea. vBulletin obviously has more features, but this one feature is very important to me.

Does vBulletin have this feature or something similar?

I'm currently running UBB 6.2.1 and have for several years, but I'm tired of it and having to rebuild files that get corrupted, etc. UBB does not have this feature although it can allow me to e-mail everyone or just moderators, etc.

The reason I ask is that I have several different clubs that use the message board, and it would be nice to provide mass-mailing for each club to just their members, and designate someone in that club to manage that list.

Thanks!

Yes, vBulletin comes defined with (off the top of my head) Administrators, Super Moderators, Moderators, Registered, Not Registered/Not Logged In, and Banned by Moderators. You can add as many more as you want and defined custom permissions for each one. However the administrator must manually assign usergroups that fall outside the normal order of things on a vBulletin forum.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

And you can E-Mail specifically to just these groups like a list-server, and have a designated person managing it's membership on each of these lists? These groups would only serve as containers for e-mailing their own specific groups.

Comment

I don't recall, let me play in my admin CP for a second...

Comment

Yep, you sure can

Comment

Thanks!! That's what I needed to know! Hope you don't mind if I use your referral link for helping me!

Comment

Oh, not at all

Comment

Kelly, did you got to the admindemo that VB offers here.

It is really cool and helps you see what options there are. (Even if it is the 2.2.1)

Comment

Yeah, I did. It shows you configuration but it's hard to tell exactly how a function will work. It looks like some killer software and I really needed that one last function. I went ahead and purchased it. That was all the coaxing I needed. Besides, I like UBB but it's killing me on reliability. Last month I took over 1.6 million hits on my website and growing, and now that it's getting busy, UBB is really letting me down.

Comment

That's quite a few hits Yeah, because IIRC UBB uses flat files, it just can't handle too much traffic, whereas vB can take literally over a thousand people online at once on a dedicated server and still perform normally.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly
                      And you can E-Mail specifically to just these groups like a list-server, and have a designated person managing it's membership on each of these lists? These groups would only serve as containers for e-mailing their own specific groups.
                      You can e-mail to groups.

You can't designate one person managing it membership though like phpBB. That's one of the features I'm hoping vBulletin 3.0 will have.

Comment

So far vBulletin 3.0 includes
                        • a greatly expanded permissions system
                        • Usergroup "Graduation"
                        • each user can belong to multiple groups

The moderater's control panel hasn't been worked on yet as far as I know, so we'll have to see what they add to that.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X