Wanting to start a forum but would like to know profitability beforehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to start a forum but would like to know profitability beforehand

I just joined a few mins ago. been thinking about creating my own forum for a while. I belong to one currently but the it has gone downhill quite a bit over the past couple years. How much would it cost to start up a forum, meaning vbulletin licensing as well as purchasing GoDaddy address, any and all legal issues as well? The current forum has between 500-1000 visits a day but in its hey day it was getting over 2000 visits a day. I know ads generate income. Please, bear with me, I know I am new to this. Can anyone provide an answer to these basic questions? If you need more info, I will do my best to provide it. Thanks so much!!

You could start with a vBulletin Cloud forum for as little as $19.99 (paid monthly) so with very little risk. Getting s custom domain name from GoDaddy is probably $10 to $20 a year depending on your options.

However you shouldn't start a forum looking for profitability. You can't just put up a forum and expect people will start using it. It could take years of hard work to grow a forum to 500 visitors a day, and it may well never get there. Most forums probably don't.

Profitability varies depending on the market segment. General discussion has almost zero opportunity for advertising revenue, a make of automobile or specific electronics, or medical issue however may offer more options for advertising.

If you can get people to post links to Amazon or eBay or other online retailers you can make commissions from affiliate links. A company like skimlinks can get you setup with something like that but they want to see a live/working forum before they accept you.

If you wanted to purchase and host your forum (rather than use vBCloud) which offers you more options a license for VB5 is $249 (one time fee) and hosting will cost between $5 and $25 a month or so for a beginner hosting plan suitable for a new forum. As traffic increases cost of hosting will increase as well, it varies widely based on the host and plan you want.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X