Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major flaws or bugs still in vB 5.2?

Hi,

Since we're now at version 5.2 of vB5 I'm hoping it's at the point that upgrading from vB4 is a wise choice. Are there any major features or functions missing that I would miss from vB4.2? Are there any major bugs still in vB5 that are really frustrating and that I should know about? Thanks for your honesty.

Regards,

Marc

unfortunately i feel it is still pretty buggy when it comes to actually using it and trying to create/display content...im hoping maybe 2-3 more versions will start to approach some balance idk...

members may notice having to work around or refresh thru odd bugs...or having issues with creating content "incorrectly" as albums and inline posting is still confusing and can result in broken images/albums if not done properly...

part of the frustration is that they are close to improving certain aspects (like albums use) better than it has ever been in vbulletin or any other software i know of...by alot actually....like being able to use album images inline, in different sizes, without having to open up a second window or double upload.....but i still have not got any reply as to whether they will finish this type of function or as jira currently suggests it may be removed altogether ...as for now its half developed and absolutely confusing.

i feel there are a few areas like that which have the chance to be really cutting edge, but it is still pretty rough developing from what i can see...last upgrade was after about a month and included nearly half or so regression issues...i actually like the rapid upgrades to change as many things asap, but for a live site, this could be problematic...for example, the last upgrade includes major changes from "styles" to "themes" so all custom styles have broken...

i dont think its too early to start acquainting yourself with it, but i would suggest rather to try a test installation/upgrade first...spend some time trying to use it and see the pros and cons then depending for your goals it may be easy to present to your community or you may choose to wait a bit longer...

Comment

Thanks IggyP for your honest opinion, it's very helpful. It seems to me that vB5 has come a nice way since I last was considering moving to it from vB4 as at the time there were quite a lot of bugs that would prove frustrating. It would be nice if the developers were allowed to fix all the user experience issue first before continue the crusade to add more features. For example: spell check doesn't work when replying with quote. Right-clicking on the misspell word ogive you a menu with only Paste and Add Table.

I think I will explore vB5.2 a little more as it definitely seems viable at this point. I just want to get a heads up if there are any major usability issues that are still lingering that would make me regret making the switch. Reading through all outstanding bug reports would be a bit of a pain, haha.
      Last edited by too_cool_3; Fri 22 Jan '16, 11:02am.

Comment

If you have plugins in vB4, they will not work in vB5. If you can't live without those plugins, then vB5 is not for you at this time.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

Glenn Vergara I run very few plugins. The main two being vBadvance, which I'm hoping the vB CMS can replace and Tapatalk, I believe is compatible with vB5. The minor ones being Bills PayPal Donate and a couple anti-spam products that I'm hoping I can find an equivalent solution on vB5.

... for what I just listed, I don't think there should be much of a problem?

Comment

I think the lack of a built in Calendar is the biggest "missing" feature at this point, but there are no real plans for adding it back since few customers really used it, much like threaded views for posts which are also gone.

Comment

Thanks Joe D. Are there pluggins for PayPal donate? And any plans to fix the bug with spell check right clicking not working when replying with a quote?

I'd just like to know any major or annoying bugs still present before I decide to upgrade. That way I can make an informed decision on weather I can live with them or not for some time.

Comment

• IggyP
                IggyP commented
                Editing a comment
                oh how nice if only a couple annoying things...check the forums theres many threads discussing huge lists...its worth looking into, but if you dont take recovery steps and upgrade your live site i can almost guarantee you will suffer lol :P

At this time I am not away of any supported PayPal Donation mod for VB5.

A mod isn't going to fix the right click issue, that is an issue between the browser being used and the editor and likely would only be resolved if the editor version was updated which does not happen often. I know on some browsers right clicking to spell check works better than others.

Comment

Hi Too Cool and Joe,

DragonByte does offer a PayPal Donation Mod. However, I'd contact them before purchasing the pro/full version, making sure they will get it to work or support it with version 5.2.0: http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/store...nate-vb5-beta/

Comment

Originally posted by William Thomas Jr View Post
                  Hi Too Cool and Joe,

DragonByte does offer a PayPal Donation Mod. However, I'd contact them before purchasing the pro/full version, making sure they will get it to work or support it with version 5.2.0: http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/store...nate-vb5-beta/
                  I knew of that mod, but according to their post on vBulletin.org it is not working and they are not supporting it- http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=292766

Comment

Paypal Donate buttons are created on Paypal's website. You then copy and paste the code into a static html module or ad module (Including vBCloud) or you can hard code them in any template you wish. (Not vBCloud) or create a specific new page dedicated entirely to your donations. The functionality is already in VB5 and there is really no reason to have a mod for this feature unless you want more advanced tracking of donations, who donated wait and so forth.
                    Last edited by Replicant; Sun 24 Jan '16, 7:34am.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
                      A mod isn't going to fix the right click issue, that is an issue between the browser being used and the editor and likely would only be resolved if the editor version was updated which does not happen often. I know on some browsers right clicking to spell check works better than others.
                      Thanks sounds about right. It's weird though right clicking for spell check works fine until you reply with quote. The issue is logged in JIRA incase anyone wants to vote on it. Not a huge issue but still annoying for Firefox users out there. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-13746

Thanks Replicant for the work around to a PayPal mod. Creating a new page in vB5 just for donations with a PayPal button should work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by too_cool_3 View Post

Thanks sounds about right. It's weird though right clicking for spell check works fine until you reply with quote. The issue is logged in JIRA incase anyone wants to vote on it. Not a huge issue but still annoying for Firefox users out there. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-13746
                        Right click to spell check bug is fixed! Thanks so much dev team! I might have to purchase vB5 now to do a test install and seriously consider moving up from vB 4.

vB 5 seems very stable and usable.

Comment