Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does an owner of a server/forum/site knows about you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does an owner of a server/forum/site knows about you?

Okay, first of all i am sorry i am doing this question here (or in this forum in general). I was searching for an answer to my question through google and it brought me when someone else asked a similar question.

So yesterday i had a conversation with a friend. Apparently he had an argument with an other user in a forum, and while both exchanged bad words the other guy told him ''i have your IP and mail and you will be in trouble''. Since then he is a bit freaked out. I told him that he probably said that to scare him. But the problem here is this. The guy who threatened him is the owner of the site/forum and he probably run the server i guess? Just how much can learn about my friend? Like his name or his street address? When he signed up for this forum he was only asked for a name and an email. Nothing else. The site then generated a code and send it through email and when he logged in he put his password.
    Last edited by Alexander56; Fri 18th Dec '15, 4:27am.

A site owner does get access to the IP Address of the user who signs up. They also see their IP address anytime they make a post. Of course their email address is also clearly visible.

Depending upon the version of the forum software their password, while obscured, may be recoverable so I if your friend used the same password on any other sites he should change them immediately. Always use a unique site for every site you register at.

An IP Address can be used to get a general geographic location of the user. His town or city or if he is using a mobile network, his carrier.

However it is unlikely they can figure out your friend's actual address, phone number, or other personal info unless they have illegally hacked into other systems, like the internet service provider your friend uses.

This doesn't seem to be an actual pre-sales question so I will be closing the topic, however I would encourage your friend to report any threat or alleged crime to law enforcement.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X