Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avatar deal killer, why is my avatar so smal 60x60 in my demo? plus other Qs

I am going to compete with other VB4.2 sites that allow very large avatars, this is very important to me.

1) I've googled this and it does not look good. I have a VB designer looking into this. What's the story, there is lots of space in the postbit for a larger size avatar. Surely this can be an addon. Is there anything preventing my VB dev guy from developing this?

2) in admin where do I remove the right column (welcome to..., latest topics, etc) I want my test forum to display the full width.

Ok, I see, it's Forums, not home. Can I default the product to start on forums?

3) where do I set the width, where can I set it to auto full size for a full screen experience.

4) where can I set the width for category and forum descriptions? I want to widen this.

That's enough for now

PBtestingVB
    Last edited by PBtestingVB; Wed 22 Jul '15, 12:38pm.

Regarding question #3:

In your Style Manager -> Edit Templates -> CSS Templates -> css_additional.css

Add the following line:

Code:
      #wrapper { max-width:100% !important; }
    Edit: Sorry, the above is for VB5, I am unclear as to which version you're using.

Comment

Thanks, I am demoing VB5, I'll try this

PBtestingVB

Comment

You don't have to add a custom css in css_additional to change the site width. You just have to modify the wrapper_max_width stylevar in the Style Variable Editor.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

1) http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...avatar-re-size
          2) Sitebuilder (Edit Site ON) > Edit Page > Change Layout tab > Choose "Full" layout
          4) In css_additional.css template or via Sitebuilder > Style > CSS Editor, add:

Code:
          .forum-list-container .forum-item .cell-forum { width: 60%; }

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

There are stylevars to cover the width now.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
              There are stylevars to cover the width now.
              Were you referring to #4? I checked 5.1.8 and the .cell-forum width is still hardcoded to 50%

Comment

In vBulletin 4.2, you can specify the Avatar size per usergroup. So you can have different sizes.
                In vBulletin 5.X, the avatar sizes are hard coded for the most part so you're going to overwrite a lot of CSS to change them.

In vBulletin 4.2, you can easily change the default tab of your site with a single click.
                In vBulletin 5.X, you need to manually edit the URL of the pages in Site Builder. It is a bit more cumbersome.

In vBulletin 4.2, you can change the width by editing a style variable.
                In vBulletin 5.X, you can change the width by editing a style variable.

If you're going to be competing with other vBulletin 4.2 site, you probably do not want to use vBulletin 5.X. You want to use vBulletin 4.2, which is available with your license. You will have access to more configuration options, better avatar support and more available addons and styles.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

How can I do a 4.2 demo?

BTW, why would anyone want VB5 if a most basic feature is not available. Higher resolution and larger Avatars are your signature and part of the user experience. This would seem to me to be a primary specification for any bulletin board software.

I find it fascinating how restrictive some of the bulletin software is, mybb does not have user media galleries, and is non-intuitive on image uploading to posts, Xenforo restricts Forum and Category descriptions to 50 characters and after a full day of trying the most basic set-up I got nowhere (I got a refund).

Thanks,

PBtestingVB
                  Last edited by PBtestingVB; Thu 23 Jul '15, 5:30am.

Comment

Different versions have different priorities. Larger avatars often break the displays on mobile devices. Currently about 60% of internet access is via mobile devices.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

4.2 demo is here:
                      http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb4-trial/
                      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Any attempts to change avatar sizes or widths in VB5 may break the "Responsive" nature of the style and should generally be avoided. If you do it be sure to test on small and tablet sized screens as well as full resolution computer monitors.

Comment

I don't think it's big of a change to fix the responsive view for small devices. Just add this css:

Code:
                          .l-small .b-userinfo .b-avatar.b-avatar--m {
                              height: 100px;
                              width: 100px;
                          }
                          .l-small .b-userinfo .b-avatar.b-avatar--m > img {
                              max-height: 100px;
                              max-width: 100px !important;
                          }
                          Change 100px accordingly.

Comment

I had to do several media queries to make it work responsive and still have some issues to work out. I am running 200px square avatars. I will probably revert as the reaction from the users is about 50/50 on like/dislike.

Comment

OK. I'm new at all this. I just built a site on VBCloud and I don't like that the avatars are pretty small. Am I reading correctly that they cannot be any bigger than what the default size is? Or is there a way to make them even a little bigger? If so, I don't know how to do all that to make it work?

Thanks for any help....

Comment