Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step #2??

All,
    I'm in the absolute very beginning stages of creating a new discussion forum, and need some advice before I commit to the VBulletin product.

I secured a very good domain name based on the content of the forum, but now would like to know what the actual (and logical) next step is. I don't want to just start buying things without knowing what I'm doing, of course.

I have so many more questions, but I'm really trying to learn to do this the right way. I know many of you are probably rolling your eyes at me already, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!!
    www.m1garandforum.com is a vBulletin Cloud site.

Next step would be to decide is if you want total control over everything and will be finding your own web host or do you want vBulletin to do all the work for you and you sign up for vBCloud?

vBCloud we install, maintain, and upgrade the forum software for you. You will end up with a working vBCloud site and all you have to do is add forums, a custom logo (if you want one) and that's it.

Otherwise you must find suitable web hosting and then purchase/download and install forum software, whether or not that ends up being vBulletin or not.

Feature comparison between VB5 (Download) and vBCloud: http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbcloud-features

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
      Next step would be to decide is if you want total control over everything and will be finding your own web host or do you want vBulletin to do all the work for you and you sign up for vBCloud?

vBCloud we install, maintain, and upgrade the forum software for you. You will end up with a working vBCloud site and all you have to do is add forums, a custom logo (if you want one) and that's it.

Otherwise you must find suitable web hosting and then purchase/download and install forum software, whether or not that ends up being vBulletin or not.

Feature comparison between VB5 (Download) and vBCloud: http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbcloud-features
      Joe D.,
      Thanks for taking the time to respond.
      I think the vBCloud would work well for me. Would it be possible to switch from the vBCloud to, say, VB5 dpwn the road if I decided that I wanted to customize my site more than what's possible with vBCloud?
      Also, would I be able to view my site before I made it "live" to the public??
      Thanks for your help.
      --Brian

Comment

Yes, you can mvoe off the Cloud platform at a later date. We would provide you with a backup of your database to import to a hosted server solution.

To prevent others seeing your site, you could leave it turned off within AdminCP - only admins would then be able to view the site until you turn it on.
        Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
        -
        *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
        - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
          Yes, you can mvoe off the Cloud platform at a later date. We would provide you with a backup of your database to import to a hosted server solution.

To prevent others seeing your site, you could leave it turned off within AdminCP - only admins would then be able to view the site until you turn it on.
          Thanks Trevor.
          I went a head and purchased the bronze package of the cloud.
          This is the first forum that I've ever started, so this is all very new to me.
          I'll start a new thread now that I've purchased the platform.
          Thanks again,
          --Brian

Comment