Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sustainable hosting question

Hi all,

I am currently debating on buying the vB license and running a forum on a 4.2.2 platform (until 4.2.3 is stable). I am wondering, when I release my forums to the public what kind of hosting I will need. I am anticipating 100+ online users in the peak hours, even more. It is an old forum I am going to revive, used to be very popular. I don't want my forum to be slow, lag, or cause frustration to new members. I want them all to blaze through the pages and be satisfied with the speed on my end.

I am asking what kind of hosting package will I need, VPS? What kind of specs

Thanks!

With a 100+ people you'll need a VPS with good virtualization, 2 GB of RAM and decent CPU. As your grow, you should be able to boost both RAM and CPU with a good company.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Wayne, thanks for the reply!

I am currently hosted under arvixe on a basic account. All my domains are on there, would their VPS support a fast vBulletin experience?
      https://www.arvixe.com/vps_virtual_p...ervers_hosting

I am assuming i'll have to use the third option @ $70/mo, maybe some add-ons too?

Comment

They seem to support everything you need. However I can't vouch for their speed. That varies a lot among providers. Ask them to see a couple larger sites that they host. You could save yourself a bit of money and get the VPSClass product with a memory upgrade. It would only be $50 a month to start. If necessary then you could update later.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Wayne, thank you. Right now since the CAD currency is much lower than USD, it's going to cost me more than the advertised price >.>. I might start with what you've suggested, however, the 3rd option just seems more sturdy, safer. I am afraid of hackers, spammers, ddos, etc; i am going to run a gaming community, and there is mutts around.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X