X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by Autopilot View Post
    Thank you Lynne, I have changed 3 of my forums to different servers/hosts and never been advised I had to inform anyone of this act. Nor was I aware I had to pay a transfer fee License Agreement: 1.4 Domain Use

Now some uninformed support staff are misinforming others about the legality of the license agreement that this is not the case. Do you have any idea how much the fee is?
    As stated above, there is currently no fee. Or, if you prefer, the fee is currently £0.00.

Thread closed as question now answered several times.

Leave a comment:

• Autopilot
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynne View Post
    No, there are no fees to change the domain name at all.

There is no restriction on changing the domain name. You do need to keep the members area up-to-date on what domain you are using the files on though.

(I think Ali was thinking that the person was going to move hosts, change domain names, and then end up with two sites using the files.)
    Thank you Lynne, I have changed 3 of my forums to different servers/hosts and never been advised I had to inform anyone of this act. Nor was I aware I had to pay a transfer fee License Agreement: 1.4 Domain Use

Now some uninformed support staff are misinforming others about the legality of the license agreement that this is not the case. Do you have any idea how much the fee is?

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Yes, there is no charge to:

- move servers using the same domain
    - move domains using the same license (provided all files are removed from old domain)

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
    There is no fee at this time to change the domain - the condition is there should we charge in the future. Lynne is perfectly correct in what she states.
    And AliMadcour is perfectly correct when in his answer there is the warning:

You're free to do that without a new license if you'll use the same domain name.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    There is no fee at this time to change the domain - the condition is there should we charge in the future. Lynne is perfectly correct in what she states.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied

There is no restriction on changing the domain name. You do need to keep the members area up-to-date on what domain you are using the files on though.

(I think Ali was thinking that the person was going to move hosts, change domain names, and then end up with two sites using the files.)
    Ali might be thinking of the vBulletin License Agreement:

1.4 Domain Use. The Software may only be used on a single website domain. Any modification of the Software intended to circumvent the foregoing is prohibited and will result in revocation of the License. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the License may be transferred to another domain with vBulletin Solutions’ prior written consent and a transfer fee subject to the vBulletin Solutions then current fees.
    How much are those current fees? No fees at all?

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Autopilot
    replied
    Thank you Lynne, yes I realize the software can be run ONLY on one live site. But if I change hosts, then the existing live site will be no more anyway. The main point to the question is "Is there a restriction on changing the the domain name?" And why is that? From what Ali said, the original domain name MUST be kept whether one changes hosts/servers or not.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    You may change the domain name, but you must remove all the files from the old domain and then enter the new domain into the members area.
    Any fees to pay for that change?

Leave a comment:

• Lynne
    replied
    Basically, you are allowed to run the software on one live site. You may change the domain name, but you must remove all the files from the old domain and then enter the new domain into the members area.

Leave a comment:

• Autopilot
    started a topic Moving forums

Moving forums

There was a question posted in this thread that to me is very interesting and answering it was avoided https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ving-our-forum
    So I'll ask it again.

If I have a VB license and place it on one server under one domain name, then I find the server is not satisfactory I can change servers at my discretion. AliMadkour said "You're free to do that without a new license if you'll use the same domain name."

Same domain name? What if I decide while changing hosts that I want to change domain name also. Is there a problem Why as Ali said would I have to use the same domain name