Domain names and VB license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain names and VB license

I have read the pre-sales questions about domain names and the VB license, but the answers really didn't seem to answer questions I have about the way my IPB forums (I currently have three IPB lifetime licenses that IPB is not going to honor anymore) are set up.

My multiple domain names don't lead to installations that hide or change the nature of one instance of the installed software. On one site, I have ten domains that lead only to portions of the entire forum that pertain to the subject matter contained in the domain names. They are basically redirects to topic areas within the same software installation. None of the domain name/redirects prevents a visitor from navigating to different portions of the overall forum. In IPB, different areas of one installation on one forum can be skinned or themed differently than other areas of the overall forum, but the areas are not restricted where people can't move throughout the entire forum.

To replace all domains redirecting to different portions of my 3 installed IPB forums, I would need 34 separate licenses for BBS software if that were the case, which is not feasible as all my sites are non-commercial and I am retired on a limited income.

If the different domains lead to different sections of the software, then a separate license is needed for each.
    If they all lead to the SAME section, then one license is needed.

The quick way to deal with these queries is....am I attempting to present different forums at different domains? If so, that requires multiple licenses.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.0 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

That helps a little, but I still wonder if there isn't a semantics or reference difference going on. I'll try again and see if I'm saying what I mean the right way.

vB has this support forum. It has numerous sections, the top one being Home>Forum. This one we are in now is the section vBulletin Pre-sales Questions, under the section vBulletin Sales and Feedback, which is under Home>Forum> which renders Home>Forum>vBulletin Sales and Feedback>vBulletin Pre-sales Questions. If vB has visitors who only want to read the section vBulletin Pre-sales Questions, vB could redirect the domain name "vB-Pre-SalesQA.com" to the section vBulletin Pre-sales Questions so those visitors wouldn't have to drill down through layers of an overall forum to get to what it is they want to read.

Maybe the answer to that was in your reply, but I just want to make sure I was presenting my question in a way that made sense to other people. I know what I'm trying to ask, but that doesn't mean others will understand what I'm asking.

Does that make sense?

BTW, I can give vB credit for one thing I noticed right way about its support forum. The lack of heavy handed censorship. With 3 lifetime licenses for IPB, it's really hard to get straightforward and honest answers from the company about losing our licenses in the support forum. I'm somewhat surprised at the way vB allows customers and prospective customers to post the way they do. Kind of refreshing, to tell the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion5005 View Post
        That helps a little, but I still wonder if there isn't a semantics or reference difference going on. I'll try again and see if I'm saying what I mean the right way.

vB has this support forum. It has numerous sections, the top one being Home>Forum. This one we are in now is the section vBulletin Pre-sales Questions, under the section vBulletin Sales and Feedback, which is under Home>Forum> which renders Home>Forum>vBulletin Sales and Feedback>vBulletin Pre-sales Questions. If vB has visitors who only want to read the section vBulletin Pre-sales Questions, vB could redirect the domain name "vB-Pre-SalesQA.com" to the section vBulletin Pre-sales Questions so those visitors wouldn't have to drill down through layers of an overall forum to get to what it is they want to read.

Maybe the answer to that was in your reply, but I just want to make sure I was presenting my question in a way that made sense to other people. I know what I'm trying to ask, but that doesn't mean others will understand what I'm asking.

Does that make sense?

BTW, I can give vB credit for one thing I noticed right way about its support forum. The lack of heavy handed censorship. With 3 lifetime licenses for IPB, it's really hard to get straightforward and honest answers from the company about losing our licenses in the support forum. I'm somewhat surprised at the way vB allows customers and prospective customers to post the way they do. Kind of refreshing, to tell the truth.
        In the example you give above, a separate license would be required for each domain, as each domain is effectively presenting a different forum.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.0 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Generally, accessing the software from multiple domains, even when licensing isn't an issue, is a cookie nightmare (sessions, keeping people logged in, etc). If the content is all the same, and you're not hiding the content from the other areas on multiple domains, that is okay.

If you're going out of your way to prevent different content from showing up on different domains, then that would require a license for each of the domains.

Comment

Nope, not trying to prevent different content from showing up, just trying to give my current members and visitors a quick way to get to what it is they want to see without a lot of clicking involved.

I've been running IPB BBS software for eleven years now. I ran a multi-line local computer bulletin board years before the civilian internet was born. Over the last eleven years, I've come to know most of the visitors who frequent my sites and my forums. I've told them about multiple ways to store shortcuts to different sections of the forum (such as, with Windoze, dragging a shortcut from a page view in the section they frequent the most, such as the current news section of the forum, to their desktop or save a bookmark to that section in their Mozilla bookmarks), but most for one reason or another prefer to use domain names to get to the sections of the forum they prefer the most. Many of them tell me its easier for them to give their friends a simple domain name to use to get to the current news or weather sections of the forum than to try and explain how to click through layers of sections and subsections.

Anyway, I was just wondering. I can understand if a customer was running a repair forum and wanted to use domain names to point to an automotive section, or a computer or household appliances section. I just thought different sections of a generic town forum weren't really different content. No attempt to hide other content is made, just providing a quick way to get where it is one wanted to go with one click.

Thanks. I think that answers my question.

Comment

I'd recommend using the domains/etc to redirect users to the content, instead of having a mirroring domain.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X