Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My own Modifications

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My own Modifications

    I'm currently in an argument with a co-worker of mine about a rule with vBulletin. Am I allow to build my own modification(s) on a "published" site?

    For instance: Can I make a moderator app?


    He says I have to purchase a 900 dollar "developer" license in order to make my own plugin on MY site.



    He's wanting to go half with me in buying a the software for the site we also own together, however he has some issues since he read a rule in the licenses agreement about not being able to make your own mods on a publish site.

  • #2
    There is no such thing as a "$900 developer license" - If you own any vBulletin license you are free to make any changes you want on your own site. You are free to publish modifications on vBulletin.org as well if you wish.

    Comment


    • #3
      You may view the actual license agreement here - http://www.vbulletin.com/license-agreement/

      As Joe stated, there is no "$900 developer license" and there is nothing in there that forbids you from making your own mods on your site.

      Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

      W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ajbish View Post
        I'm currently in an argument with a co-worker of mine about a rule with vBulletin. Am I allow to build my own modification(s) on a "published" site?

        For instance: Can I make a moderator app?


        He says I have to purchase a 900 dollar "developer" license in order to make my own plugin on MY site.



        He's wanting to go half with me in buying a the software for the site we also own together, however he has some issues since he read a rule in the licenses agreement about not being able to make your own mods on a publish site.
        Do not share your site with your co-worker.
        Disputes could arise soon.


        vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
          There is no such thing as a "$900 developer license" - If you own any vBulletin license you are free to make any changes you want on your own site. You are free to publish modifications on vBulletin.org as well if you wish.
          He says it states I can not do anything with the code and if i do then i can't put it on a publish site

          Here is what he's having problem with:

          "Provided you comply with the term and conditions of this Agreement and have paid the applicable license fees, vBulletin Solutions grants you a revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, , worldwide, limited license to install, download and use a single instance of the Software on a single website domain in a manner consistent with its designs and Documentation as further set forth below and not for purposes of resale or re-compilation, re-distribution, re-syndication, time sharing or use for the benefit for any third-party (the "License"). Upon vBulletin Solutions’ receipt of the applicable license fees, a unique license number will be issued to you."


          and



          "1.8 Modification of the Code. You may modify the Software source code; provided, however, you may not rent, sublicense, assign, lease, loan, resell for profit, distribute, publish or otherwise share the Software or related materials or derivative works based upon the Software or any part thereof without the prior written consent of vBulletin Solutions. If you are domiciled in the E.U., please refer to Section 19."


          I've tried to argue with him on it, but he saw a few words in there that pretty much summed up the whole agreement.

          Originally posted by Lynne View Post
          You may view the actual license agreement here - http://www.vbulletin.com/license-agreement/

          As Joe stated, there is no "$900 developer license" and there is nothing in there that forbids you from making your own mods on your site.
          Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
          Do not share your site with your co-worker.
          Disputes could arise soon.
          lol already has

          Comment


          • #6
            Well I don't know what to tell you, you asked the official company and the official company response is you are free to modify your site to heart's content.

            What you can't do is take vBulletin code and resell and you can't put up a forum and lease it out to someone else.

            Also ask him where is the $900 developer's license because no such thing exists. If he wants you to pay half of that he is scamming you.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
              Also ask him where is the $900 developer's license because no such thing exists.
              Maybe he's heard someting about the Apple Developer fees to develop something for the mobile app.

              $99, $299


              vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

              Comment

              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X