Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice from vBulletin users wanted - which version should I use... 4 or 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glennrocksvb
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

• oxrageous
    commented on 's reply
    I can't imagine why anyone WOULD'NT use your stuff, Glenn - it's fantastic.

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Well, I'll be happy even with decent I think hehe

• durruti
    commented on 's reply
    Awesome? I don't believe it at all. I do believe that it will reach bare minimum decent in the next two years.

• glennrocksvb
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe D. View Post

Nice looking site.
    Yeah nice looking site.
    And it's using my Floating Bar, Profile Preview and Quote Selected Text mods.

Good job oxrageous!

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    commented on 's reply
    Uh, what does a responsive style have to do with SEO?

• nomadgirl
    replied
    Originally posted by oxrageous View Post

From the way some people talk about vb5, it's a complete disaster and every vb5 forum is a dumpster fire.
    Yes, that sums up perfectly where so much of my uncertainty about whether or not to use vB5 came from - I was so scared I'd be making the stupidest decisions EVER if I went with vB5, based on all the horror stories out there.

But so far, things are going about as well as I'd have expected given the fact that I started with absolutely no clue how to set up a forum (1st time doing this!) - dare I say that I like vB5 so far?

Anyhow, hopefully I didn't jinx anything, but so far, so good.

I suspect that after the huge amount of frustration that some people had to deal with when vB5 first came out, there will be a lingering bad feelings for a while... there was this other thing I used and when they did a complete overhaul of the system, people were HATING on them so much because it got ridiculously buggy and so many things didn't work as they were supposed to - heck, I even stopped using it for months because my usually easy-going self was going insane with frustration too. But, fast forward to today, and that other thing is AWESOME. The frustration from the bad times people were having have mostly evaporated. I'm hoping that vBulletin5 is heading for awesome too
    Last edited by nomadgirl; Wed 31 Dec '14, 10:07pm.

Leave a comment:

• rhens
    commented on 's reply
    looks good! great job!

• oxrageous
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe D. View Post

Nice looking site.
    Thanks Joe. I really believe that vBulletin could benefit greatly by posting a bunch of links to great looking and established vb5 sites to prospective buyers. From the way some people talk about vb5, it's a complete disaster and every vb5 forum is a dumpster fire. I know it would have benefited me when I was looking to buy.

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    Originally posted by oxrageous View Post
    I've been working on my forum since June, when I had 5.1.1, and it's getting better with each release. At times I questioned why I didn't go with vb4, but I didn't want to be stuck with an old platform when I knew vb5 would be where it needs to be in time.

One thing I think this site needs are people showing off their vb5 forums to give people an example of what a proven, functioning vb5 board with a bunch of members and posts can look like. Here's mine:

http://gatorchatter.com

I've spent countless hours tweaking it, and still have work to do. However, I have a number of mods, such as a Shoutbox, that the members love. We need more vb5 members showing off their boards. I for one would love to see other designs.

Nice looking site.

Leave a comment:

• donald1234
    replied
    VB5 must be improving, it is not long since any review thread related to VB5 would have been moved to the private customers only section!

Leave a comment:

• oxrageous
    replied
    I've been working on my forum since June, when I had 5.1.1, and it's getting better with each release. At times I questioned why I didn't go with vb4, but I didn't want to be stuck with an old platform when I knew vb5 would be where it needs to be in time.

One thing I think this site needs are people showing off their vb5 forums to give people an example of what a proven, functioning vb5 board with a bunch of members and posts can look like. Here's mine:

http://gatorchatter.com

I've spent countless hours tweaking it, and still have work to do. However, I have a number of mods, such as a Shoutbox, that the members love. We need more vb5 members showing off their boards. I for one would love to see other designs.

Leave a comment:

• alexchar
    replied
    I also prefer vBulletin 5, and I believe that the former developer, will decide to build a more impoved version of vB4's hook system in 2015, and this will increase vBulletin 5's popularity rapidly!

Leave a comment:

• rhens
    replied
    i started out with my own forums using a brand new vB4. it ran for several years, and although it had some bugs in it, the worst seemed to be that it would sprout incompatibilities with ie users out of the blue. i bought vB5 over two years ago, and was extremely disappointed that it was not what they advertised it to be. features were missing, features were broken, and vB had the look of a company going under.....as rats leaving a sinking ship was on full display. i did believe, however, that the vB5 version was what best served the vision of what my new site was to be.....and of course, my money was already spent (vB doesnt do refunds...even though they grossly misrepresented their product), so i remained patient.

i would consider vB5.1.5 to be a sellable form of this product. had they waited to release it today instead of summer of 2012, you probably would not see the outrage and negativity you encounter in reality. my new website....which is under construction as well....has been running vB5 for quite some time now. i find that the admin panels are quite similar in operation, and the load speeds most complain about are not nearly as bad as they would have you believe. there are a lot of things being blamed on the software that in reality are more likely user error or omission.

when my team set down and decided what was required from our software in order to satisfy recent trends and near future projections, vB5 was the best fit. vB4 is the walking dead, and i think you would have wasted your time starting something new with it. since you bought vB and then started asking questions, i'll assume you saw something you liked to begin with. if you have to get used to how things work, you might as well put in the work on something that has some sort of future.

welcome to vB.....we arent the idiots some would lead you to believe we are

Leave a comment:

• Merenguista
    commented on 's reply
    Great decision .. I wish you good luck ..