Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice from vBulletin users wanted - which version should I use... 4 or 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• donald1234
    replied
    [QUOTE=usmcveteran8152;n4238711

Also V5 has a lot more mods as well if that is important to you. [/QUOTE]

You mean VB4 has a lot of mods VB5 doesn't have hooks.

Leave a comment:

• usmcveteran8152
    replied
    V5 has a ton of bugs though and alot of the features don't even work properly. If I remember correctly there was only 1 person from original developers of V4 left as the rest quit so V5 was basically developed from scratch.

I wish they just added functionality to V4 to get V5 but you lose some functionality as well.

Also V5 has a lot more mods as well if that is important to you.

Leave a comment:

• donald1234
    replied
    As you seem to have decided to buy a Vbulletin license, once you do you will be able to read the licensed customer feedback on this forum before making your final decision on what version to use. You cannot read that feedback till after you buy your license.

Leave a comment:

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent info - thank-you so much for pointing that out!

I do want a mobile responsive forum - tons of people use mobile to access online stuff these days.

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Good food for thought. Well, that, and you did call vB5 a Ferrari... most people don't refer to it in a very positive light, so that caught my attention hehe.

It's tough as a total newbie to figure out what to do sometimes.

In any case, I can't install vB yet since I stupidly deleted my welcome e-mail, not realizing I'd need the info it contained for urljet to install vB. So I guess that buys me time to think about it... not sure how long it will take VB to respond to my support ticket requesting they re-send the e-mail hehe Hopefully not too long!

• durruti
    replied
    Make sure to remember that vB4 is not responsive and the mobile skin is outdated.
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-16047
    If you care about SEO, then responsiveness is a must.
    In fact, responsiveness is the standard for modern forum.
    vB5 is responsive, vB4 is not.

Leave a comment:

• durruti
    commented on 's reply
    vB4 is outdated and has not receive any active development since 4.2.0. So far vBulletin is only upgrading its PHP version and that's just as much as you can hope for considering the current situation.

Don't worry yourself about stability and other similar nonsenses, your forum is new and you have zero knowledge, worst - you already purchased the license - so there is no reason for you to feel uncertain any longer. You have a very expensive one year hosting package and only one month free support tickets, make sure you make the best of them with vB5.

Even if in the worst scenario possible - vB5 turns out to be completely useless to you, you can migrate off to at least one other forum software company which will very soon release the most modern forum Suite so far pending the arrival of XF 2.0 and BB 4.2.

Bottom line is, you already know vB5 has very bad reputation and already know vB4 is outdated and yet you still purchase the license. There's no need to worry too much, try vB5, it may not be as bad as you think it is - who knows?
    Last edited by durruti; Wed 24 Dec '14, 7:50am.

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Hi donand1234! Thanks for the reply.

The fact that starting with vB4 allows me to upgrade for free in future to vB5 (and switch back to vB4 if vB5 sucks) is a very compelling reason to consider doing just that. Particularly if I can switch back after "upgrading" if it goes bad. Is there still an issue with SEO when switching from vB4 to 5?

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Hi durruti - thanks for sharing your thoughts - much appreciated!

What you say echos exactly what I worry about if I choose to start with vB4 - but the trouble is, it seems that there are a lot of people who say vB4 is much more stable/works better than vB5... so that is what causes me to consider starting off with vB4. Plus, as donald mentioned below, apparently if I start with vB4, I have the option to upgrade to vB5, and then switch back to vB4 if it sucks. Whereas if I start with vB5 and it sucks, I'm stuck with it.

Are you running vB5? If so, is it working well for you so far?

And if you are not using vB5, was wondering if you'd mind sharing your reasoning.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by nomadgirl; Wed 24 Dec '14, 7:33am.

• donald1234
    replied
    Actually I disagree, the reason that URLjet are dearer than standard hosting is that they do installations and upgrades for free. Ozzy47 has given you the correct advice imo try out vb4 which has been around for a while and is extremely stable. If in the future you wish to upgrade and try out vb5 you can (in your case for free) and if you make a backup before doing so you can revert to vb4 if you don't like 5. Remember though if you start with 5 you are stuck with it, you can't downgrade, only start again from scratch.

Leave a comment:

• durruti
    replied
    You buy a license for vB5, why would you use a lower and not actively developed any longer version? It's just like buying a Ferrari but opting to use the free bicycle gift attached to the car. Your forum is brand new and you have zero experience, don't waste your time learning outdated things. You only have one month worth of free support tickets (unless you pay more), use them to the maximum you can. Explore the ups and down of vB5 Connect together with vBulletin support staff and your web host staff.

Take note that theoretically, vB5 is extremely user friendly compared to vB4 due to its site builder (drag and drop ability).
    Don't waver your heart and take the vB5 Connect challenge!

Leave a comment:

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks so much for your comments - much appreciated!

I bought a year of shared hosting with urljet.com (vB Pro: http://www.urljet.com/vbulletin-hosting.php ) - seems like they get good reviews overall, and I don't mind paying extra if it saves me hassle when I need support. Hopefully I made a good call on that one.

3 questions if you don't mind:

1. Does my choice of hosting change your opinion ozzy47, about the slow and cumbersome running of vB5? Or no?

2. Also, if I install vB4 now, will I have to pay extra to upgrade to vB5 in future? (the license I bought gives access to both, but not sure if that changes once I install it on my domain)

3. Also, assuming I start with vB4, and I eventually switch to vB5, will the switch screw up everything SEO-wise for my forum? I seem to recall reading in the forums here that people who switched from vB4 to vB5 were really peeved off because their sites lost rankings and had to be re-indexed by the search engines since the forum thread url's were all different after the switch? I'm trying to think long-term on this... I intend to give this forum 5 years at least to get going before I decide whether or not to scrap it, so I figure there are good odds that by then end of that 5 year period, if things are going well, I may very well want to change to vB5 if it's better by then, right?
    Last edited by nomadgirl; Wed 24 Dec '14, 4:51am.

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    I really appreciate your comments - thank-you!

What kind of problems are most noticeable right now? browser issues? mac vs PC issues? display setting issues? mobile issues?

Sorry for asking so many questions... just trying to figure out exactly what I'd be in for problem-wise that I would avoid with vB4.

• ozzy47
    replied
    TBH if you are just starting out, I would go with vb4

Most sites starting out usually go with a shared server, or a cheap VPS. Now if you run vB5 it will be slow and cumbersome, and you will find yourself geting frustrated and either giving up, or throwing more hardware into the server.

You can always upgrade to vB5 at a later date, but you can not downgrade from vB5 to vB4.

Leave a comment:

• napy8gen
    replied
    Everything @yv3013 said is true. The product has no real beta environment. Only named beta but never been fully tested and audited. Tested in all browsers, Tested in mobile. Tested in Mac and PC. Tested in multiple display settings. They get a free users input when users reported bugs.They should pay for users to report bugs. Once a bug confirmed they should pay us 5USD for example.

The product also has no real direction. What they should do next. What they need to do next to keep survive and keep attention to the product. We are all tired because they have no real product development building and strategy. They expect users to vote. But they seems don't care about the votes at all. They know what is important from the jira votes but they just ignore it. They seems to live in their own box. They do not see what competitor is doing. What competitor do that excited their users. vBulletin never wanted to learn.

However, the coming soon 5.1.5 looks promising. But we also need to see the next 5.1.6, 2 or 3 more version.

Leave a comment: