Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice from vBulletin users wanted - which version should I use... 4 or 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad Padgett
    commented on 's reply
    No problem. I'm always here to help.

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks durruti - I do tend to lean that way also - I have limited time, so don't want to waste it (ha... I know I could totally end up wasting time on frustrating vB5 bugs and all that... but it could also be a waste of time to start with vB4 and then move to vB5 after that)

Just curious... is it very time consuming to move a forum from vB4 to 5?

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Hey - thanks so much for taking the time to put down so many details - it's much appreciated, and very helpful!

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Hey durruti - no, I won't spend money on SEO - I was just thinking of the fact that I'd read of people switching from vB4 to 5 and having their forum thread url's changed during the switch so that their entire forum had to be re-indexed by Google and rankings dropped for a while - although I'm not sure what you mean about getting it out of the box - what kind of SEO stuff are you referring to?

And I'll have to google what CMS SEO is - no idea what that means hehe

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    "Most site do not deploy substantial modifications" - THAT is very useful info - thank-you for sticking your neck out - much appreciated! When I look at the feature list for vB5, it seems good enough, but I was trying to figure out what I'd later be missing out on if all these people out there are adding mods (you know, wondering what do THEY know they need that I don't know about yet).

See, and the other thing is, there was this site-builder I used for my 1st website, and when they rebuilt it, it was buggy as all hell - drove me insane with frustration so I completely stopped working on my site for about 6-8 months to let things settle down, lots of customers left the company for Wordpress and people were VERY vocal slamming the company for all the bugs - fast forward to a year or two later, and it is a flipping fantastic website builder (bugs are gone). Now based on what I read here, the bugs are NOT all gone from vB5 yet... so I'm trying to figure out if the bugs are such that using it out of the box with no mods will be bad enough to drive me insane with frustration, or are not likely to be very noticeable to me at this point.

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Hi, thanks for the comment - yeah, I'd read that vB4 (assumed that's what you meant) has more mods - trouble is, I have no idea if it will be important to me, since I'm such a newb with this.

When I read the feature list for vB5 (and I mean focusing on the easy-to-understand stuff for non-techie like me... stuff like being able to pm people, subscribe to posts etc.), it appears that vB5 has everything I'd need.

So the thing I'm wondering is what is missing that commonly causes people to want mods for it? I guess it's something like once you get into running forums, you start to want extra stuff and realize how good it is to have, but when you're inexperienced like me, you have no idea what you'd be missing hehe

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Having hooks means the software can accommodate mods?

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Hey Donald - I already have the license, so I've been able to look at the feedback in the forums. But I guess the thing is that it's not all that common for people to post stuff like "vB4 is a good choice for you if..." or "vB5 is a good choice for you if..."... seems mostly posts about problems people are having (which is natural... you're more likely to take the time to post and say "how do I fix this" than you are to write a testimonial hehe), and since I am a total non-techie, a lot of the problems mentioned bring up stuff that I no nothing about hehe But for sure, I will be reading more there in the hopes of picking up a few useful nuggets of info, so it's a great suggestion - thank-you!

• durruti
    replied
    @nomadgirl

I just need to clarify one more thing about my "Ferrari" comment.

You have to understand that my posts contains tons of ironies, stuff that should be read between the lines. However, my recommendation stands that you should run vB5 instead. My last advice is this:

If you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, you should always move forward.

If vB5 satisfy you in the end, then good for you.
    If vB5 doesn't satisfy you in the end, options abound out there to migrate out.

vB4 is a memory of the past.

Leave a comment:

• Brad Padgett
    replied
    This is what I can tell you from experience with vbulletin 5.

Considering your lack of experience and this is something your starting out with no knowledge of how to use it here are the pros and cons.

Vbulletin 5 pros:

- Site builder does wonders. This makes it easier on you to setup your website and gives you more potential to do the necessary administrative work the right way

- More content focused. It doesn't have to be fancied up to look good. The content based style makes it perfect for attracting guests and people who want to view content fast

- Vbulletin 5 is improving with every release. Each and every release has shown remarkable improvement

- Mods are now lasting longer with more stability for the newer version releases. I was able to install a shoutbox and several other mods for 5.0.x and worked perfectly without issue on 5.1.4

- Easy to edit templates and add custom CSS when you obtain the knowledge of using CSS (cascading style sheets). Once you learn the market tricks you can change the page to look however you want and it's simpler than it looks

- Editing StyleVars (in order to make custom styles) are also easy to do with the StyleVar table I have added to the vbulletin 5 tutorial section (you can view that here on this site)

- If there is a bug, the team here has always been able to fix it pretty fast.

Vbulletin 5 cons:

- New products can sometime have small bugs

- Not as old and doesn't have as many mods developed

- Not as developed in layout and design. Seems more professional based than pretty looking

- No forum stats until 5.1.5 (which will include stats and a content slider as well and is the newest coming release)

- No colored names for the staff. All usernames have the same color

Overall, vbulletin 4 is a worse choice any day in my opinion. If I had to choose between vbulletin 4 or vbulletin 3, I would choose vbulletin 3 over vbulletin 4. Which goes to show my personal dislike for it. It's just not the kind of software that is going to make it to the big time. One word that can describe it to me is indifferent. But it is also well developed and has been around for years. It also has all the options that would make for a unique experience and includes every bit of the necessary tools to get the job done. I'm sure you would be happy with it as well had you choose vbulletin 4.

Simply put, I only feel that vbulletin 5 has more to offer you in professionalism and uniqueness. There is no other forum software like it and it seems to be a growing trend with the releases showing such improvement. You can always start with vbulletin 4 and work your way up to vbulletin 5 once you find the releases suit your needs.

You will find what your looking for with vbulletin 4 or vbulletin 5 both. They are both great softwares.

I recommend vbulletin 5.

Good luck with your website! Hoping you find the software that suits you best.

Leave a comment:

• durruti
    replied
    To be clear, what I meant by:

If you care about SEO, then responsiveness is a must.

Is that if she is willing to spend money on SEO (something that you don't get out of the box), then she should also take responsiveness as a major factor as an integral part in any modern forum software. I'm not saying that the two are dependent on each other, what I'm saying is that the two are necessities if you want to go professional.

The rest of my posts were meant to show @nomadgirl the nature of her predicament, either use an outdated version that is not being developed any longer or the flagship product riddled with bugs.

Taking into account her one month only free support tickets and her very expensive hosting package (urljet is far from cheap), she should follow the proper direction, using the flagship product that is riddled with bugs - because vB5 is still actively developed.

As for all the sweet dream about vB4 mobile skin, allow me to shatter them with a direct quote from Paul:

I'll mark as confirmed [VBIV-16047], but we are not really working on the vB4 mobile style anymore, so this isn't likely to be looked at.

PS: People should tell her how wonderful vB4 CMS SEO is.
    I believe that's one of the JIRA entries that customers has been demanding since ancient time.

Leave a comment:

• ozzy47
    replied
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Responsiveness does not hurt "SEO" (which is a meaningless term anyway).

Google are starting to look at how sites handle mobile devices. That doesn't need to mean a responsive style. My vB4 site scores highly because I use Dartho's mobile style which is served automatically to mobile devices. The vB4 default mobile style would score similarly highly even though it is not actually "responsive".
    Last edited by Mark.B; Wed 24 Dec '14, 2:26pm.

Leave a comment:

• ozzy47
    replied
    Originally posted by durruti View Post
    You buy a license for vB5, why would you use a lower and not actively developed any longer version? It's just like buying a Ferrari but opting to use the free bicycle gift attached to the car. Your forum is brand new and you have zero experience, don't waste your time learning outdated things. You only have one month worth of free support tickets (unless you pay more), use them to the maximum you can. Explore the ups and down of vB5 Connect together with vBulletin support staff and your web host staff.

Take note that theoretically, vB5 is extremely user friendly compared to vB4 due to its site builder (drag and drop ability).
    Don't waver your heart and take the vB5 Connect challenge!
    Well for one, the exact reason you state here.

Even if in the worst scenario possible - vB5 turns out to be completely useless to you, you can migrate off to at least one other forum software company which will very soon release the most modern forum Suite so far pending the arrival of XF 2.0 and BB 4.2.
    Why on earth would I tell someone on this site to try something, and if they don't like it, migrate to another platform.

Make sure to remember that vB4 is not responsive and the mobile skin is outdated.
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-16047
    If you care about SEO, then responsiveness is a must.
    In fact, responsiveness is the standard for modern forum.
    vB5 is responsive, vB4 is not.
    Care to share a article from Google that states it will hurt your seo?
    Also the mobile style works just fine, and there is a few mobile styles you can use in vB4 from third party developers.

Over all I still recommend vB4. There is tons of mods and people willing to work on it. And again, at some point you want to upgrade to vB5, you can, and if you don't like it, you can restore a backup that you take before upgrading. If you start with vB5 and don't like it, you are up a creek, without a paddle.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    I'm going to stick my neck out here...

Most sites do not deploy substantial modifications. As long as you don't plan a heavily modified site, then....if I was starting a new forum today, I would now say go with vBulletin 5.

5.1.4 is a good solid starting point. 5.1.5 is bringing "User Mentions" into the native platform.

These support forums are probably not the ideal place to see real world behaviour on vB5 because of the custom deployment we have here which sometimes distorts performance.
    For a better example see my 5.1.5 demo site: www.talknewsuk.com/testvb. 10,000 posts on there so it's not an empty database like you often see on demo sites.

Leave a comment: