Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice from vBulletin users wanted - which version should I use... 4 or 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Already done I installed VBulletin 5! Thanks for sharing your opinion though... it helps me feel more confident about my choice now

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks beishe8!

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Nope... on THIS vbulletin.com forum, I got that msg. when I signed up. But on my forum, it doesn't show up - instead, as soon as you finish filing out the new user registration form, it send you straight to the forum itself, with zero explanation as to what you need to do in order to be able to post. Hence my workaround via a notification that will display to those users... waiting for a reply from vBulletin support about it (hoping they have a fix, but I saw another thread here where vBulletin staffer who said it was a known bug... so who knows...)

• Merenguista
    replied
    In my opinion you should start with 5.1.5 than vb 4 ..

Sent from my Tablet using Forum Runner

Leave a comment:

• glennrocksvb
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadgirl View Post
    Found one bug already which is a tad annoying (no msg. when you sign up for the forum telling you your account has to be activated before you can post),
    You didn't get this confirmation dialog?

Click image for larger version

Name:	registration_prompt.png
Views:	14
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	4241488

Leave a comment:

• Merenguista
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for this tip Joe ..

• napy8gen
    replied
    Originally posted by durruti View Post
    @nomadgirl
    vB4 is a memory of the past.
    Yes I totally agree, vb4 is just an old news, we should move forward to vb5, this is the right attitude not just for new customers BUT for all including vbulletin.org moderators and vbulletin staffs. You should tell users to use vb5. This way vb5 will grow. I hope you guys can change from telling customers to use vb4 to use vb5 instead.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadgirl View Post
    I decided to go with vBulletin 5.
    You are brave, good luck with it.

Leave a comment:

• nomadgirl
    replied
    I figured I'd share what I ended up doing - I really appreciate everyone's feedback and taking the time to advise me. I decided to go with vBulletin 5. ACK!!! Hope things work out. Smart decision or stupid one, time will tell... I like the look of it, and I like the possibility of them working out most of the bugs so that most of us are happy with it (ha, wouldn't everyone love that, right?), and saving myself the trouble of converting from vB4 to 5 later on. Worst case, if I pull off this starting-a-forum thing (ie. actually get users so it's not a ghost town) and find bugs are driving me crazy, I'll switch to a non-vBulletin software down the line. But I hope that won't be necessary - I've always really liked vBulletin as a forum user... hope they don't disappoint me toooo much here now that I'm running one.

Things seem to be going decently so far - I have things set up, have played around with the settings, and it's perfectly functional right now as far as I can tell - I've got some posts up, made some test users to see how things work etc. Found one bug already which is a tad annoying (no msg. when you sign up for the forum telling you your account has to be activated before you can post), but I got around that by setting up a notification that will show up for those people... with any luck, they'll see it!!! And with even better luck, vBulletin will fix this soon... seems to me an important bug from a forum member standpoint.

I even successfully applied a patch - yay me! haha Maybe urlJet would have done that for me, but I wanted to learn how to do it, so gave it a whirl.

There are a few things I still want to figure out though, I've found the help files and video tutorials lack sufficient detail to figure out these things. BUT, this forum seems fairly active, so I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to get many, or even most, of the answers I need here, particularly since I'm not planning on doing anything too terribly fancy or out of the box with vBulletin.

As I mentioned, I chose urlJet for hosting and their service has been great so far - so although I know I'm paying a premium price, it's worth it to me right now since I get really quick replies to any support requests and questions.

vBulletin support - it seems they're all overwhelmed with requests (perhaps because of the holidays???) - I'm hoping the speed of their replies will improve after the holidays are over...

Thanks again to all for your help in my decision - you guys are awesome!

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by TheXboxCloud View Post

Thank you Joe. I was aware many things can be done with css although I never knew this was possible so easily.

I will keep this in mind.
    Those instructions will work in vB4 and vB3 also. It's one aspect of the software that hasn't changed at all.

vB has a template called additional.css, vB3 has a section in the stylevar screen where you can add custom css.

Leave a comment:

• Brad Padgett
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe D. View Post

Yes you can, basically same as you always did.

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager

Choose the usergroup you want to set a color for, for example Administrators, and choose Edit from the drop down menu.

Near the top of the next page is a field for HTML Markup. There are two boxes, the left most is the opening tags and the right box is the closing tag,

Easiest way is to put this in the opening box:

Code:
    <span class="adminug">

And this in the closing box:

Code:
    </span>

Now go to the Style Manager and edit the css_additional.css template for the style (vBClloud users can edit this via site builder) and add the following code to css_additional,css:

Code:
    .adminug {color: red;}

That would for example turn Admin usernames red, as I did here:
    http://sedona.vbulletin.net/forum/of...e-is-the-grass

Thank you Joe. I was aware many things can be done with css although I never knew this was possible so easily.

I will keep this in mind.

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    Originally posted by TheXboxCloud View Post
    - No colored names for the staff. All usernames have the same color
    Yes you can, basically same as you always did.

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager

Choose the usergroup you want to set a color for, for example Administrators, and choose Edit from the drop down menu.

Near the top of the next page is a field for HTML Markup. There are two boxes, the left most is the opening tags and the right box is the closing tag,

Easiest way is to put this in the opening box:

Code:
    <span class="adminug">

And this in the closing box:

Code:
    </span>

Now go to the Style Manager and edit the css_additional.css template for the style (vBClloud users can edit this via site builder) and add the following code to css_additional,css:

Code:
    .adminug {color: red;}

That would for example turn Admin usernames red, as I did here:
    http://sedona.vbulletin.net/forum/of...e-is-the-grass
    Last edited by BirdOPrey5; Fri 26 Dec '14, 3:20am.

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    commented on 's reply
    There can indeed be custom color usernames for different usergroups. Use the HTML Markup field in the usergroup editor. I will give details in a post.

• nomadgirl
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for your comments TheXboxCloud! I really appreciate it!

• Brad Padgett
    commented on 's reply
    Not to steal durruti's shine but I wanted to say that I migrated my forum over from phpbb3 and used the tool impex which is the forum migration tool for vbulletin. I had success in doing so and was also afterwords able to migrate from vb4 to vb5. It's actually not that difficult. Worse thing you will encounter is a few errors before running the upgrade script. But fixing common errors are very easily completed. It's as simple as clicking "upgrade" to be quite honest.

And for bugs, I have not encountered a bug yet on my community that is at the hands of the software. This is just my personal experience. Any bug is usually a very small one.