Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are my plans realizable?

Hey guys,

our forum is now based on vBulletin v4.x and we plan to make some major changes.
    Here's what we want to do (we plan to use vb5):

Our forum should be used from people from 4 to 5 main countries (de, es, fr, en, it). First we wanted the users to use the forum in english, but unfortunately most of our users come from germany and are not willing to post in englisch. So we created some subforums, where users can post in their on language.
    Now only the subforums are used and 80% of the post are form german users - so the forum is really not relevant for users from france, uk or spain.
    What we want to do now (and we know, that this is not the best solution - but we have to change somethin and maybe it's a smaller hurdle for the users to use our community), is to translate all posts via google translate api, so the users can read all posts in their own (not perfect) language.

I want to leave the structure of the thread tables in the database as they are, but only change the post-tables and add 5 tables with the same content in different translated languages (same thread id etc). If a user opens the forum the system checks by browser language, ip or whatever where the user comes from and loads the appropriate language from one of the post tables. Therefore I would have to make some template changes of course.
    And of course i would need to get into the post creation process to make a http or curl request via php to activate the translation script, when the post is created. Are there hooks or something like this for this process, so i could easily add a process to the post/thread creation, without making to big changes in the system itself?

To be honest, we were/are thinking about switching to woltlab burning board 3 and already checked, if this is possible - and it's quite easy. But vBulletin v5 is quite impressing, so we want to stay (really like the mobile version =)).
    3 other Questions:
    1. Did you change the update process in vbulletin v5? I really didn't like it and we often had some problems with the downloads from the costumers area, uploading it via ftp and stuff...
    2. How much changes can I make in the native iOS and Android Apps? You remember the plans with the different post-tables? Can I somehow pick, where to load the posts from?
    3. We ordered the vbulletin v4 license from vbulletin-germany.com. The new versions can only be bought on vbulletin.com and we have no customer account so far. Do we still get the upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your help. Would love to stay on vBulletin
    kddc

Sorry if this post is 2 times in the list, but its not listed for me :-O

Originally posted by kddc View Post
    Hey guys,

our forum is now based on vBulletin v4.x and we plan to make some major changes.
    Here's what we want to do (we plan to use vb5):

Our forum should be used from people from 4 to 5 main countries (de, es, fr, en, it). First we wanted the users to use the forum in english, but unfortunately most of our users come from germany and are not willing to post in englisch. So we created some subforums, where users can post in their on language.
    Now only the subforums are used and 80% of the post are form german users - so the forum is really not relevant for users from france, uk or spain.
    What we want to do now (and we know, that this is not the best solution - but we have to change somethin and maybe it's a smaller hurdle for the users to use our community), is to translate all posts via google translate api, so the users can read all posts in their own (not perfect) language.

I want to leave the structure of the thread tables in the database as they are, but only change the post-tables and add 5 tables with the same content in different translated languages (same thread id etc). If a user opens the forum the system checks by browser language, ip or whatever where the user comes from and loads the appropriate language from one of the post tables. Therefore I would have to make some template changes of course.
    And of course i would need to get into the post creation process to make a http or curl request via php to activate the translation script, when the post is created. Are there hooks or something like this for this process, so i could easily add a process to the post/thread creation, without making to big changes in the system itself?
    I would advise you to check www.vbulletin.org for this modification. I know that there once existed a product with which you could mark the text in the posts and send this to translate.google in order to get a fast translation. Atleast this was available at the german modification site at www.vbulletin-germany.org.
    Originally posted by kddc View Post
    To be honest, we were/are thinking about switching to woltlab burning board 3 and already checked, if this is possible - and it's quite easy. But vBulletin v5 is quite impressing, so we want to stay (really like the mobile version =)).
    3 other Questions:
    1. Did you change the update process in vbulletin v5? I really didn't like it and we often had some problems with the downloads from the costumers area, uploading it via ftp and stuff...
    2. How much changes can I make in the native iOS and Android Apps? You remember the plans with the different post-tables? Can I somehow pick, where to load the posts from?
    3. We ordered the vbulletin v4 license from vbulletin-germany.com. The new versions can only be bought on vbulletin.com and we have no customer account so far. Do we still get the upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your help. Would love to stay on vBulletin
    kddc

Sorry if this post is 2 times in the list, but its not listed for me :-O
    1. It kinda still is the same. The way is stable but if the basis is wrong (incorrect uploaded files etc) then no update routine should work properly.
    2. Actually there are no informations about this concerning vBulletin 5.
    3. Those have to be bought here at www.vbulletin.com. www.vbulletin-germany.com doesn't sell licences anymore at the moment. You can transfer your user account at vBG to here in your customer area at vBG. Then you can get the updates, germany language packs for vB4 are available, for vBulletin 5 will follow.
    No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

The modifications are not exactly what i'm searching for because i want the posts to be translated into 4 different languages.
      Just one last question, that would be good to know: I still have the untouched table for threads, but instead of only 1 table for posts, i have 5 different for each language - can i control, where the template loads the posts from via the tpl engine from vBulletin or do i have to edit the php-files itself and if so can you tell me which files that are?

Comment

Do I understand that you want to use 5 tables for 5 different languages?

Comment

Originally posted by Hartmut View Post
          Do I understand that you want to use 5 tables for 5 different languages?
          exactly! And this is the way we "want" to do it...we know its not the best, but unfortunately there is no other option for us.

Comment

That would need a modification as vBulletin doesn't work like that.

Comment

Is it possible? Probably because just about anything is possible... But it would require A LOT of custom coding and any custom coding questions are not supported here but can be asked on www.vBulletin.org after you purchase a license. Unless you are an advanced PHP/MySQL coder or are willing to hire one for a major project you should not expect you will be able to have 5 different tables to same the hold post translated into other languages.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X