Translation of vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translation of vBulletin

I want to run a forum in a different language (Afrikaans). Could you give an indication of how difficult it is to translate vBulletin into a different language? How many strings need to be translated and what kind of process should be followed?

Also, if there is an existing Afrikaans language package, how great would that be?! Please let me know if that's the case.

I had a look at vBET, but the translations are pretty rough and the grammar made me cringe. I don't think that would fly with any Afrikaans person, unfortunately.

Thanks!

vBET is a third party automatic translation tool for message content. We also don't support third party addons/modifications.

If there is not a specific language package available for your language, you'll be able to manually translate the phrases. If you have a good understanding of both languages, the translation is more time intensive than anything else.

Comment

Thanks so much for the swift reply, Zachery. Where can I search to see if an Afrikaans language pack exists?

I've found language packs for myBB and for SMF forum software and am wondering whether it would be better to run with those, but vBulletin's license fees are within my client's budget and seems to come with lots of other advantages, I think.

Comment

We have a Languages & Phrases forum where you can find packs donated by our customers and also receive help for creating your own:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Also, here's the forum containing downloads of the current Language Packs made available by our customers:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96

Please note, the Language Management System only covers the board text and not individual posts. The posts themselves will be displayed in the original language they were written in.
        Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
        -
        *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
        - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Excellent - thanks so much for the help, Trevor.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X