Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What speed improvements have been made to vb5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What speed improvements have been made to vb5?

Scalability and speed improvements are a very large reason I would have to update to vb5.

So, some specific questions:
    1. Have queries and code been optimized?
    2. Does the HTML output validate?
    3. Is there a system to offload static files and attachments to a CDN?
    4. Is there better integration with server side caches? (memcache, apc, etc)
    5. Has any attention been paid to SEO?
    Last edited by tpearl5; Wed 12 Dec '12, 10:28am.

Capture more registrations - Advanced Guest Posting & Registration
    Cell Phone Forums | Nikonites

1. Queries and code are always being optimized.
    2. Unlikely at this time, though semantic good html is a goal, and we'll reduce any automatic validation errors that come up. Semantic well written html is normally more important.
    3. Not right now as a whole, though like with vb4 you can load your javascript remotely (jquery) and changing images to a CDN is easy by changing the image paths. I doubt you'll ever see attachments in a cdn if you care about permissions.
    4. Yes. We support the vBulletin 5 cache in the file system and memcache. We also have jira's in for apc and xcache.
    5. Yes, and we'll continue to monitor customers feedback on this and make improvements as time goes on.

Comment

One thing I don't see right away is avatars, thumbnails, and css being read right from the database. I'm assuming that functionality isn't turned on in the demo, or isn't complete yet?

I'm glad to see more jQuery and less js files though!

Edit: and REALLY glad to see sprites

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
      1. Queries and code are always being optimized.
      2. Unlikely at this time, though semantic good html is a goal, and we'll reduce any automatic validation errors that come up. Semantic well written html is normally more important.
      3. Not right now as a whole, though like with vb4 you can load your javascript remotely (jquery) and changing images to a CDN is easy by changing the image paths. I doubt you'll ever see attachments in a cdn if you care about permissions.
      4. Yes. We support the vBulletin 5 cache in the file system and memcache. We also have jira's in for apc and xcache.
      5. Yes, and we'll continue to monitor customers feedback on this and make improvements as time goes on.
      Thanks for the reply

Does the cache include common queries and style templates?

Comment

The cache actually caches page output per usergroup (IIRC). As long as the cache isn't invalid, it would reduce a significant amount of queries/calls.

We're not currently serving the css from the file system. We're now only using jquery (no YUI). I did forget about sprites.

Comment

In regards to validation, we're working to make it as valid as possible. There will be issues with user generated content as long as we continue to support the font and center tags though. The current demo exhibits 3 errors and 1 warning for the home page.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I just realized what was going on with Modernizr too. Very nice!

Comment