Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 4.2 with a v5 test forum on the same lisence

Hi there,
    I know you can only run one forum per lisence, but it says "For testing purposes, you are allowed to have a second installation of the software but the test forum must be password protected, and not made available to the general public at any time."

Would I be able to run a 4.2 forum as my main forum and have a v5 forum too which I only allow access to a select few members so we can test it before being satisfied with it to upgrade the main forum from 4.2 to 5? It wouldn't be available to the general public, it'll have registration disabled and only a select few memberships.

Cheers

The short answer to that is yes, but it needs to be protected by .htaccess as per the licence agreement and it must only be a small number of testers - not your entire forum. There are other caveats to it as well.

Once you have purchased a license you will be able to obtain further support on this.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for the quick response

Comment

Hello again,
        I purchased the license this morning and the activation was done in seconds! I'm currently uploading the files for the main forum, with an "area51" folder with the v5 test board. Would it be possible if you could explain to me how to set up the .htaccess file to limit who visits?

I'm not sure if it recognizes my e-mail address, or if I need to enter a customer ID number or something to make the forum know I've bought the license, if I do could you point me in the right direction please?
        Thanks

Comment

Here you will find a htaccess generator which should do what you were asking for:

http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/...ator/index.php
          No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to do this, could you please tell me how?
            I've created the files and renamed them ".htaccess" and ".htpsswd" and uploaded them to the forum's main folder. There's two .htaccess files now, so I copied the contents of the new above the contents of the existing one.
            However, when trying to access the site it displays an error:

"
            Internal Server ErrorThe server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
            Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
            More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
            Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
            "

When removing the new files and placing the original .htaccess file back where it was, there are no problems.

Comment

Your hosting provider can help you with formatting your .htaccess files to protect a directory.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cable Player View Post
                I'm sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to do this, could you please tell me how?
                Are you using cPanel?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Yes, I'm using cPanel. I guess I'll have to ask my host support.

Comment

I don't use cPanel myself but I believe there's an option for protecting directories within there
                    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                    -
                    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vie...ectDirectories
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Yep you can defnitely protect directories in cPanel....

Comment

Thank you, I'll try that now.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, that worked. Many thanks

Comment

Great, glad it's sorted, and thanks for coming in and letting us know, this helps others who encounter similar issues in the future.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X