Website transfer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website transfer.

Can anybody help point me in the right direction as to moving my website to a v-bulletin layout (skin).

Thanks.

vBulletin is more than a skin, it is PHP powered software.

Are you trying to import existing content? If so what is your current site running?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
      vBulletin is more than a skin, it is PHP powered software.

Are you trying to import existing content? If so what is your current site running?
      Yes i understand thanks. I am using www.webs.com as my host now and would like to know how i can make a fresh site with the same domain www.stickygreen.org and how i would go about doing that.

Thank you.

Chris.

Comment

I'm not familiar with webs.com but from a quick look I don't see any way to export your info for use in a site like a vBulletin forum. You would likely be starting from scratch.

The basics is you'd need to buy web hosting- we don't make specific recommendations on hosts but you should check out the Hosting Discussion forum here for more info:

Whatever you do, do NOT get godaddy hosting- it is bad for vBulletin in general and will not work with VB5.

Then you will need to make sure you have access to change the DNS servers on your domain name, depending on who it is registered with this may be easy or difficult.

Finally you purchase and install vBulletin- we have professional installation available for an additional charge if you are interested.

Comment

I'm not familiar with webs.com but from a quick look I don't see any way to export your info for use in a site like a vBulletin forum. You would likely be starting from scratch.

The basics is you'd need to buy web hosting- we don't make specific recommendations on hosts but you should check out the Hosting Discussion forum here for more info:

Whatever you do, do NOT get godaddy hosting- it is bad for vBulletin in general and will not work with VB5.

Then you will need to make sure you have access to change the DNS servers on your domain name, depending on who it is registered with this may be easy or difficult.

Finally you purchase and install vBulletin- we have professional installation available for an additional charge if you are interested.
          Thanks. What would be the procedure for transferring my domain name to a simple skin like this. I understand i need hosting from the right source and not to bad at designing the layout of the skin we are using. What would it cost to do the transfer with my hosting and any other charges i would have to pay.

Thanks again.

Chris.

Comment

If your domain name is registered with godaddy, network solutions, or any one of a number of reputable registrars it shouldn't cost you anything to point the domain to a new location.

However it will cost you money to purchase a hosting account somewhere, and it would cost you $249 to purchase a vBulletin license.

Comment

If your domain name is registered with godaddy, network solutions, or any one of a number of reputable registrars it shouldn't cost you anything to point the domain to a new location.

However it will cost you money to purchase a hosting account somewhere, and it would cost you $249 to purchase a vBulletin license.
              Can it be done without hosting and what would be the price just to trasfer my domain name to a simple v-bully layout like this skin.

Comment

Hosting is required and we do not provide a transfer service, that is up to you. It is $249 for the license, and $149 if you want us to install vBulletin for you, but in either case you need to already have web hosting setup and working before VB gets installed.

Comment

Originally posted by LUDACRIS. View Post
                  Can it be done without hosting and what would be the price just to trasfer my domain name to a simple v-bully layout like this skin.
                  Think of vBulletin as a house you want to put on some land. The hosting is the land that you are going to build it on. The domain name is directions to the world on how to get to your house.

You need the hosting (and have a domain so people don't have to remember a string of numbers making up an IP address) before you can install vBulletin.
                  Last edited by Ace; Sun 4th Nov '12, 3:51pm.
                  My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                  vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                    Think of vBulletin as a house you want to put on some land. The hosting is the land that you are going to build it on. The domain name is directions to the world on how to get to your house.

You need the hosting (and have a domain so people don't have to remember a string of numbers making up an IP address) before you can install vBulletin.
                    Thanks for that but the last time i looked at the price it was around $175. I dont know if there is a cheaper option or not but $249 is way to much for the licence.

Thank you.

Chris.

Comment

Thanks very much for your time with this matter.

Chris.

Hosting is required and we do not provide a transfer service, that is up to you. It is $249 for the license, and $149 if you want us to install vBulletin for you, but in either case you need to already have web hosting setup and working before VB gets installed.

Comment

Can the hosting be done by myself.
                        Thank you.

Comment

If you have the skills and hardware to maintain a server connected to the internet with the required software then yes you could "host" yourself- but usually people who are able to do that don't need to ask the question if they can. If you are not experienced in hosting websites yourself it would be a very bad idea to start with a vBulletin forum. Web hosts are cheap, best to have it done professionally. We do not support server issues, only vBulletin issues so if you have a server related question we cannot help you.

Comment

• LUDACRIS.
                            LUDACRIS. commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank's Joe..........

• LUDACRIS.
                            LUDACRIS. commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Joe.......How does one move domain names from webs to v-bully......

Thanking you...I am used to the CP as I was admin in other v-bully sites but not to sure how to switch.....

Cheers.....

Not sure exactly what you're asking. To change the URL of a vBulletin forum go to the old URL, login, go to Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL/ Contact Details and update all the URLs on that page from the old URLs to what the new URLs will be.

If you set a custom cookie path or cookie domain, update those as well.

Then physically move the files.

Once the files are moved you should be able to login/use the site as normal on the new domain name.

Comment

• LUDACRIS.
                            LUDACRIS. commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sorry Joe.....I have my own website name @ the moment and don't know how to go about moving it from my present host to v-bully. My site is owned by webs.com and I want to shift to v-bully retaining my own website name as in www.stickygreen.org....

Thank you again.....
                        widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X