Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing upgrade to VB5 - Can I still use VB4 until it's ready?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Purchasing upgrade to VB5 - Can I still use VB4 until it's ready?

    I have a forum with about 10,000 members running on VB4.2 at the moment. I want to buy the FB module, but I also want to upgrade to VB5 connect, but I don't really want to install it until it's past the beta stage and ready for general roll-out.

    Can I buy a license for VB5 connect + FaceBook module now and download and use the VB4 FB module until VB5 is officially released?

  • #2
    Originally posted by princesspepper View Post
    I have a forum with about 10,000 members running on VB4.2 at the moment. I want to buy the FB module, but I also want to upgrade to VB5 connect, but I don't really want to install it until it's past the beta stage and ready for general roll-out.

    Can I buy a license for VB5 connect + FaceBook module now and download and use the VB4 FB module until VB5 is officially released?
    Yes.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by borbole View Post
      Yes.
      Oh, really?

      There's no Facebook App options on my vB5 Connect license whatsoever.

      I believe they are coming when they are ready.
      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

      Comment


      • #4
        Currently you would need to purchase and setup the VB4 Facebook App before upgrading to VB5 to have access to the VB4 Facebook App.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
          Currently you would need to purchase and setup the VB4 Facebook App before upgrading to VB5 to have access to the VB4 Facebook App.
          Which would require going back in time to a point where vB4 Forum/Suite licenses were on sale.

          Currently, vB5 Connect licenses can have the addons in the attached screenshot. No Facebook App in there.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	options.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	3690525

          *edit* Basing my answers on the question "Can I buy a license for VB5 connect + FaceBook module now and download and use the VB4 FB module until VB5 is officially released?" rather than one where an Upgrade of a current vB4 license was the scenario.
          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ace View Post
            Which would require going back in time to a point where vB4 Forum/Suite licenses were on sale.

            Currently, vB5 Connect licenses can have the addons in the attached screenshot. No Facebook App in there.

            [ATTACH=CONFIG]62566[/ATTACH]
            If you still had a VB4 license you would see the VB4 Facebook App as an option to buy. We are aware people who upgrade to VB5 do not have the option to buy the VB4 facebook app and I believe it will be resolved at some point but I do not know for sure if or when since it is not my decision to make.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ace View Post
              Which would require going back in time to a point where vB4 Forum/Suite licenses were on sale.

              Currently, vB5 Connect licenses can have the addons in the attached screenshot. No Facebook App in there.

              [ATTACH=CONFIG]62566[/ATTACH]
              It requires a config change in the sales system that should be happening next week.
              Baby, I was born this way

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                It requires a config change in the sales system that should be happening next week.
                Good point. A time machine with forward travel would also work.

                - - - Updated - - -

                Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
                If you still had a VB4 license you would see the VB4 Facebook App as an option to buy. We are aware people who upgrade to VB5 do not have the option to buy the VB4 facebook app and I believe it will be resolved at some point but I do not know for sure if or when since it is not my decision to make.
                The OP asked a specific question. If they buy a vB5 license now, can they run the FB App with vB4?

                At the moment, the answer to that is actually 'no', for the reasons I have described, until next week.

                If they had purchased a vB5 license, they'd have been somewhat disappointed, as they would not be able to buy the FB App. (and if they bought the FB app, only to find it's free with the vB5 purchase, they'd be spending quite a bit more money than they need to.)
                My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ace View Post
                  The OP asked a specific question. If they buy a vB5 license now, can they run the FB App with vB4?

                  At the moment, the answer to that is actually 'no', for the reasons I have described, until next week.

                  If they had purchased a vB5 license, they'd have been somewhat disappointed, as they would not be able to buy the FB App. (and if they bought the FB app, only to find it's free with the vB5 purchase, they'd be spending quite a bit more money than they need to.)
                  So when this is sorted next week, can you inform me so that I can do it?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ace View Post
                    The OP asked a specific question. If they buy a vB5 license now, can they run the FB App with vB4?

                    At the moment, the answer to that is actually 'no', for the reasons I have described, until next week.

                    If they had purchased a vB5 license, they'd have been somewhat disappointed, as they would not be able to buy the FB App. (and if they bought the FB app, only to find it's free with the vB5 purchase, they'd be spending quite a bit more money than they need to.)
                    Which is the answer I gave them in post #4.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Joe D. View Post
                      Which is the answer I gave them in post #4.
                      But Ace gave more information, so therefore explained it better. I don't want to be spending money I don't need to, so will the FB app be included in VB5, thus making it inadvisable to buy the VB4 version before release of VB5 proper?

                      I really want to make the correct decision and any definite information you can give would be useful as a representative of the support team

                      Thanks in advance!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you want to use the Facebook App with VB4 you basically have to purchase it before you upgrade to VB5. That was my point- I can't decide for you if that is a good idea or not. We currently have no idea when VB5 will go Gold and have no idea when the VB5 Facebook App will be out. It could be a month it could be 6 months, I don't know. I wish I could give you more info but I can't- no one can.

                        I don't know how important you feel the Facebook app is to your site- if you need it soon then yes it is advisable. If you can wait months then save some money and wait until it gets released.

                        Comment

                        Related Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X