No announcement yet.

vB4 vs vB5 comparison list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not too early if they are selling it.
    http://www.unrealkillers.com | unrealtournament 1999 | siege | combogib | bunnytrack | instagib ctf

Comment

vB4 vs vB5 comparison list?

Wow how is it too early for asking for information on a product being sold.

It's like hey buy this car..... What's in it?...... It's too early for that. Really!

And once it reach beta stage a list of feature is already made and should be working on. If its at beta stage and no comprehensive list of feature exist I'm really worried then.

Comment

Originally posted by rexxxy View Post
        Wow how is it too early for asking for information on a product being sold.
        Before it's actually ready.
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

I don't get it, sorry. True, one could create a comparison list now, but what for? There will definetly be some changes and added features until the gold release, so such a list would be inclomplete – sooner or later.

Don't get me wrong: I will always vote for both more transparancy and more information, if it makes sense. But I am not interested in a list of which I know that it can only give an idea about what might come (or not come)...

Comment

Yeah but at exactly what point do we decide that "later" has come? Your reasoning has an open-ended approach, if we do as you suggest we will always be waiting for what might come later. Changes can happen even after you decide that "later" has arrived. It is a common sales tactic with software to have comparison charts with features checked off, it is a big help for us slowpokes who deal in tangible assets. Honestly it should not be that difficult, and using your approach it could be updated as features exit/enter the arena.
            You can pay more...but you can't buy better than the Ford.

Comment

Well since both are being sold as the package. You can start with 4.2 and later upgrade to 5.0 when ready or stay at 4.2 after you check out both. Both have their advantages but you can't compare.

Comment

Originally posted by lovefords View Post
                Your reasoning has an open-ended approach, if we do as you suggest we will always be waiting for what might come later. Changes can happen even after you decide that "later" has arrived.
                Sure, but as long as a software isn't near to anything like being "complete" or "finished", the changes that happen are a lot more than usual. Even complete features might be added/removed. Therefore I doubt that a comparison list would make any sense at the moment, because most things are still work in progress. Any list that may exist today had to be rewritten tomorrow to show the status quo of the software. Personally I prefer this effort being put into making the product better.

Comment

Originally posted by TLMD View Post
                  Sure, but as long as a software isn't near to anything like being "complete" or "finished", the changes that happen are a lot more than usual. Even complete features might be added/removed. Therefore I doubt that a comparison list would make any sense at the moment, because most things are still work in progress. Any list that may exist today had to be rewritten tomorrow to show the status quo of the software. Personally I prefer this effort being put into making the product better.
                  Then honestly, why do they list 120 new features and the most plugins on the front page, where they're trying to sell something to someone. I think everyone here would not be bothered/upset/concerned, if vB was showing off a demo of the next big release and trying to get feedback and asking for help on identifying bugs. But like their new software, this is their new way of trying to get money out of their new/old customers before something is really ready to be put up for sale.

Everyone keeps blaming the customer or trying to make up excuses for vB..... Again who is running this company?
                  Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

Originally posted by rudedog1968 View Post
                    Then honestly, why do they list 120 new features and the most plugins on the front page, where they're trying to sell something to someone.
                    Actually I don't know. In my opinion it would be better if they make 120 old features work again in vB 5.

Originally posted by rudedog1968 View Post
                    Everyone keeps blaming the customer or trying to make up excuses for vB...
                    As for me I just said I don't need a list that makes no sense. That, of course, is a caused by the fact that vB 5 is far far away from being "complete" or even usuable on a live site.

Comment

IB allowing customers to order/pre-purchase their product during a beta phase is sensible for developers and software vendors who follow each development entry so they can update their own products and services to flow with the totally new way vbulletin5 is. This is the easiest and most benefitial manner for a community who involves themselves as much as vbulletin does.

Yes, VB5 is being sold. This allows early integrators access to the development process (BETA) that they absolutely require to get their work done. However, it is common to get confused on whether or not its usable by the retail customers who simply want a working product if they paid for it. Well, IB resolves that by allowing your license use VB4 now and when VB5 goes gold you simply upgrade to the finished product and get 30 days of support at that point.

Until then there is no sense in getting frustrated. Everyone knows VB5 is beta and unusable in a live site. If you bought VB5, great, don't set it up live, put it on your dev box and follow the beta releases as it goes along. Meanwhile use VB4 and start prepping your custom modifications for the changes you find in JIRA.

M2C
                      Last edited by emptyconnection; Fri 7 Dec '12, 10:40am. Reason: :) spell check

Comment

Originally posted by emptyconnection View Post
                        IB allowing customers to order/pre-purchase their product during a beta phase is sensible for developers and software vendors who follow each development entry so they can update their own products and services to flow with the totally new way vbulletin5 is. This is the easiest and most benefitial manner for a community who involves themselves as much as vbulletin does.

Yes, VB5 is being sold. This allows early integrators access to the development process (BETA) that they absolutely require to get their work done. However, it is common to get confused on whether or not its usable by the retail customers who simply want a working product if they paid for it. Well, IB resolves that by allowing your license use VB4 now and when VB5 goes gold you simply upgrade to the finished product and get 30 days of support at that point.

Until then there is no sense in getting frustrated. Everyone knows VB5 is beta and unusable in a live site. If you bought VB5, great, don't set it up live, put it on your dev box and follow the beta releases as it goes along. Meanwhile use VB4 and start prepping your custom modifications for the changes you find in JIRA.

M2C
                        Agree with most of that, although, it's not actually unusable on a live site. People are actually using it. The important point is that we don't recommend this, and cannot support it if things go wrong.
                        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
                        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment