Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 days left... to buy or not to buy the upgrade? What if... in December, they will drop the price?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerry5039
    replied
    Originally posted by Gerry5039 View Post
    To be honest, the cost of the upgrade is unbelievable.
    You have miss quoted me and made this look like I am saying the price is good when it stinks.

I am just so sad that my whole post was censored out, I thought we all lived in a democracy or can Internet Brands not take criticism, and let people know the truth. Shame on you. Tell me what did I do 22 years service in the Army for, so you can take away what I believe in "The truth".

I know this will not see the light of day because it will be censored again. Shame on you man, you have a nice day.

Just so that you know, I write a column for PC Magazine here in the UK, and is also published in the US, lets see what Internet Brands thinks when I write about them forcing the sale of vB5 Beta 10 which is not even ready for sale yet, and have removed the purchase of vB4. As I live in Europe I shall be asking my Member of the European parliament to bring this subject up, in the next parliamentary session, and also to state that when I posted in answer to a post quoting European Law, it was censored and removed, without even letting me know why.

This will be the last post I shall make in this forum on the subject, as they get censored anyway, therefore I am wasting my time, I did keep a copy of the last post I made that you censored they can read it in the magazine. Good day to you.

Leave a comment:

• Super Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by F4Flake View Post
    Where was that stated? Seriously I remember only vagueness when it came to specifics regarding it's life cycle. Even something like MS Office gets 3 years.
    When it came out. Expected life cycle was 18 to 24 months.

Leave a comment:

• F4Flake
    replied
    Where was that stated? Seriously I remember only vagueness when it came to specifics regarding it's life cycle. Even something like MS Office gets 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Never mind the numbers, VB3 was developed and maintained for 5 years. Released in March 2004 it was December 2009 before VB4 went gold. So VB4 gets half the life cycle of VB3 before VB5 is being pushed.

While there were no promises when the license for VB4 was offered I don't think it was unreasonable to not expect the software to "dead end" in barely two and half years.
    Considering the fact that the lifespan/cycle of 4 was stated at the time of release to be around 18 months, it could be taken that we have gotten more out of it than the expectation that was set.

Leave a comment:

• F4Flake
    replied
    Of course, but given that when 4 was being sold originally there were a whole bunch of unanswered questions about life cycle it's not difficult to feel somewhat disappointed that IB are already hawking a brand new license cost.

Never mind the numbers, VB3 was developed and maintained for 5 years. Released in March 2004 it was December 2009 before VB4 went gold. So VB4 gets half the life cycle of VB3 before VB5 is being pushed.

While there were no promises when the license for VB4 was offered I don't think it was unreasonable to not expect the software to "dead end" in barely two and half years.

Once again, this is just my feeling on the matter, my mind isn't made up, but its unlikely that VB4 will ever contain the functionality of 5 because it wouldn't be financially expedient to offer it to older license holders.

My greatest disappointment is that VB5 seems to be offering exactly that which VB4 promised to be but never delivered, a slick content management system with forum and blogging capability.

All the way through typing this I hit "shift" to type VB, perhaps it would be more appropriate to continue holding it to type "$" instead of "4".

Leave a comment:

• Super Cat
    replied
    Hey I'm just talking about my feelings, and I feel a bit ripped with the leap from 4.2 to 5.

You don't.

Whatever.
    Those are just numbers. They could have put 4.3 or 4.5 on 4.1.10 or 4.1.12. Knowing they aren't finiahed with the 4.x series makes me feel at this time it may be better to wait on 4.3 then for them to just throw out a few extra's and call it 4.3. In the meantime, 5.0 is like you are using different software, not just an upgraded version.

Leave a comment:

• F4Flake
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace View Post
    Did you know there was never a 3.1 or 3.2? It jumped from 3.0.17 to 3.5, which included enough change to be justifiably called 4.0.

Point being - version numbers mean nothing, and vB4 will still be supported for the forseeable future.
    Hey I'm just talking about my feelings, and I feel a bit ripped with the leap from 4.2 to 5.

You don't.

Whatever.

Leave a comment:

• dondino
    replied
    Thanks to Zachery finally I was able to get in touch with the sales department

the problem is simple, I only wanted to ask them how much they could offer me (by the end of Sept.) for a one-time upgrade of all of my THREE vB licenses
    Well, the answer (discount offered) was so low, but so low, that I will never proceed with this bulk upgrade, taking in consideration that the payment of much more than five hundred dollars will be just for something that I will not use atm and for the next months. Xmas is far yet, and i'm not Santa, althought the feel of vB5 is not that bad, after all

Maybe I will upgrade just one license, but we will see, as I speech I'm not even sure about that... I will make a definitive decision this weekend with my mind more fresh

I wish Zachery would also take care of the sales dept someday, maybe people there will start to become more flexible... cause we're not all swimming in gold.
    Last edited by dondino; Thu 27 Sep '12, 3:26am.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Personally I'm too disappointed by the fact we're at 4.2 in VB and already VB5 is out. Personally I'd have imagined VB5 would appear somewhere around vb4.7. By way of life cycle I feel betrayed and so will likely not purchase any of the products again.
    Did you know there was never a 3.1 or 3.2? It jumped from 3.0.17 to 3.5, which included enough change to be justifiably called 4.0.

Point being - version numbers mean nothing, and vB4 will still be supported for the forseeable future.

Leave a comment:

• F4Flake
    replied
    Personally I'm too disappointed by the fact we're at 4.2 in VB and already VB5 is out. Personally I'd have imagined VB5 would appear somewhere around vb4.7. By way of life cycle I feel betrayed and so will likely not purchase any of the products again.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    What email did you use? Please PM it to me.

Leave a comment:

• dondino
    replied
    For now all I know is that 2 weeks ago I tried to contact the sales dept. to ask a couple of questions ---> NO REPLY.

I tried again this morning, from the contact form on the site... let's see if they will reply, this time.

Leave a comment:

• Gerry5039
    replied
    To be honest, the cost of the upgrade is unbelievable.

Leave a comment:

• TLMD
    replied
    Why don't you just consider the following:
    1. Do you need a vB license now to set up a new site? And do you accept to run the site with vB 4? Then just buy vB 5 (you get also vB 4 then) and understand vB 5 like being an extra at the moment. You can upgrade your vB 4 site later, if you feel that vB 5 is both stable and feature rich enough.
    2. If you don't need a vB license now because you won't set up a new site in the next few days or weeks, then just think about, weather or not you want to purchase vB 5 now to have something to play with. If that's the case and you want to pay for this option, then just do it. You definetly can't use vB 5 on a live site in its current state though.

And if the first two scenarios don't match, then just wait. Maybe there will be an awesome sale, maybe not. But I highly doubt that the price will rise or fall very drastically.

Leave a comment:

• Loco.M
    replied
    Originally posted by dondino View Post
    can I get some guarantee that the price to upgrade or get a new licence of vB 5 will NEVER EVER be lower than the current offer (total $184) which expires 30 sept 2012 ??
    sorry, but I doubt that statement can be made by anyone on the forums

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X