Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 days left... to buy or not to buy the upgrade? What if... in December, they will drop the price?!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5 days left... to buy or not to buy the upgrade? What if... in December, they will drop the price?!

    I am unsure whether to buy or not the upgrade to vb5, taking in consideration that I can use the upgrade discount and the little extra off.... and save something.
    I have only 4/5 days to decide.

    We know that most of the people here talk bad about vb5, but that's because it is a beta and clearly not suitable atm for a live environment.
    So I know that even if I buy this upgrade I will not be using it for quite some time (until it become stable), probabily until 2013!

    But one thing worries me...
    what if later in the year, maybe for xmas they will drastically drop the prices and make more discount than this actual offer?
    maybe caused by the low realized sales or whatever... I think it may happen

    can I get some guarantee that the price to upgrade or get a new licence of vB 5 will NEVER EVER be lower than the current offer (total $184) which expires 30 sept 2012 ??
    Last edited by dondino; Tue 25th Sep '12, 5:53am.

  • #2
    Originally posted by dondino View Post
    can I get some guarantee that the price to upgrade or get a new licence of vB 5 will NEVER EVER be lower than the current offer (total $184) which expires 30 sept 2012 ??
    sorry, but I doubt that statement can be made by anyone on the forums
    -- Web Developer for hire
    ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

    Comment


    • #3
      Why don't you just consider the following:
      1. Do you need a vB license now to set up a new site? And do you accept to run the site with vB 4? Then just buy vB 5 (you get also vB 4 then) and understand vB 5 like being an extra at the moment. You can upgrade your vB 4 site later, if you feel that vB 5 is both stable and feature rich enough.
      2. If you don't need a vB license now because you won't set up a new site in the next few days or weeks, then just think about, weather or not you want to purchase vB 5 now to have something to play with. If that's the case and you want to pay for this option, then just do it. You definetly can't use vB 5 on a live site in its current state though.


      And if the first two scenarios don't match, then just wait. Maybe there will be an awesome sale, maybe not. But I highly doubt that the price will rise or fall very drastically.

      Comment


      • #4
        To be honest, the cost of the upgrade is unbelievable.

        Comment


        • #5
          For now all I know is that 2 weeks ago I tried to contact the sales dept. to ask a couple of questions ---> NO REPLY.

          I tried again this morning, from the contact form on the site... let's see if they will reply, this time.

          Comment


          • #6
            What email did you use? Please PM it to me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Personally I'm too disappointed by the fact we're at 4.2 in VB and already VB5 is out. Personally I'd have imagined VB5 would appear somewhere around vb4.7. By way of life cycle I feel betrayed and so will likely not purchase any of the products again.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by F4Flake View Post
                Personally I'm too disappointed by the fact we're at 4.2 in VB and already VB5 is out. Personally I'd have imagined VB5 would appear somewhere around vb4.7. By way of life cycle I feel betrayed and so will likely not purchase any of the products again.
                Did you know there was never a 3.1 or 3.2? It jumped from 3.0.17 to 3.5, which included enough change to be justifiably called 4.0.

                Point being - version numbers mean nothing, and vB4 will still be supported for the forseeable future.
                My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks to Zachery finally I was able to get in touch with the sales department

                  the problem is simple, I only wanted to ask them how much they could offer me (by the end of Sept.) for a one-time upgrade of all of my THREE vB licenses
                  Well, the answer (discount offered) was so low, but so low, that I will never proceed with this bulk upgrade, taking in consideration that the payment of much more than five hundred dollars will be just for something that I will not use atm and for the next months. Xmas is far yet, and i'm not Santa, althought the feel of vB5 is not that bad, after all

                  Maybe I will upgrade just one license, but we will see, as I speech I'm not even sure about that... I will make a definitive decision this weekend with my mind more fresh

                  I wish Zachery would also take care of the sales dept someday, maybe people there will start to become more flexible... cause we're not all swimming in gold.
                  Last edited by dondino; Thu 27th Sep '12, 2:26am.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ace View Post
                    Did you know there was never a 3.1 or 3.2? It jumped from 3.0.17 to 3.5, which included enough change to be justifiably called 4.0.

                    Point being - version numbers mean nothing, and vB4 will still be supported for the forseeable future.
                    Hey I'm just talking about my feelings, and I feel a bit ripped with the leap from 4.2 to 5.

                    You don't.

                    Whatever.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by F4Flake View Post
                      Hey I'm just talking about my feelings, and I feel a bit ripped with the leap from 4.2 to 5.

                      You don't.

                      Whatever.
                      Those are just numbers. They could have put 4.3 or 4.5 on 4.1.10 or 4.1.12. Knowing they aren't finiahed with the 4.x series makes me feel at this time it may be better to wait on 4.3 then for them to just throw out a few extra's and call it 4.3. In the meantime, 5.0 is like you are using different software, not just an upgraded version.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Of course, but given that when 4 was being sold originally there were a whole bunch of unanswered questions about life cycle it's not difficult to feel somewhat disappointed that IB are already hawking a brand new license cost.

                        Never mind the numbers, VB3 was developed and maintained for 5 years. Released in March 2004 it was December 2009 before VB4 went gold. So VB4 gets half the life cycle of VB3 before VB5 is being pushed.

                        While there were no promises when the license for VB4 was offered I don't think it was unreasonable to not expect the software to "dead end" in barely two and half years.

                        Once again, this is just my feeling on the matter, my mind isn't made up, but its unlikely that VB4 will ever contain the functionality of 5 because it wouldn't be financially expedient to offer it to older license holders.

                        My greatest disappointment is that VB5 seems to be offering exactly that which VB4 promised to be but never delivered, a slick content management system with forum and blogging capability.

                        All the way through typing this I hit "shift" to type VB, perhaps it would be more appropriate to continue holding it to type "$" instead of "4".

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by F4Flake View Post
                          Never mind the numbers, VB3 was developed and maintained for 5 years. Released in March 2004 it was December 2009 before VB4 went gold. So VB4 gets half the life cycle of VB3 before VB5 is being pushed.

                          While there were no promises when the license for VB4 was offered I don't think it was unreasonable to not expect the software to "dead end" in barely two and half years.
                          Considering the fact that the lifespan/cycle of 4 was stated at the time of release to be around 18 months, it could be taken that we have gotten more out of it than the expectation that was set.
                          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Where was that stated? Seriously I remember only vagueness when it came to specifics regarding it's life cycle. Even something like MS Office gets 3 years.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by F4Flake View Post
                              Where was that stated? Seriously I remember only vagueness when it came to specifics regarding it's life cycle. Even something like MS Office gets 3 years.
                              When it came out. Expected life cycle was 18 to 24 months.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X