Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vb5 beta: can two versions be live at the same time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vb5 beta: can two versions be live at the same time?

Hello -

I'd like to keep up with the vb5 changes, as I really got knocked for a loop with 3.8 -> 4, 4 -> 4.1 and 4.1 -> 4.2.

Each time mods stopped working until their developers caught up with the upgrade, and in addition I spent a lot of time figuring out how the new features worked. From your PR, it seems like the changes to 5 are even more dramatic, and I don't want to flounder around trying to figure things out on an active, established forum.

What I'd like to be able to do is to purchase the upgrade, and have both my 4.2 forum and the 5 active at the same time. That would allow my users to not be disrupted (and mad at me), and to allow me time to setup and experiment with the new version. If possible, I'd like to use the same database, but if that isn't technically possible, then clone my current one and upgrade the clone.

I might even show some of my experienced users the new site, but until I have a firm understanding of what mods work, which ones don't, and how to navigate the changes, I'd like to have both up and running. Once I am comfortable (in a reasonable time frame of course), I would either remove 4.2 and go to 5, or if too many of the mods I like don't work, then keep 4.2 running until the mod developers catch up with the changes and then switch.

Is this possible?

2 public sites with 1 license is not allowed.

You could make VB5 your "test site" (your license allows for 1 test site) that needs to be password protected so it cannot be accessible to the general public. This will allow you to test the features of VB5 while keeping your VB4 site online.

The same database cannot possibly be used- very different between the versions. You can make a backup of your current VB4 database and upgrade that on your test site. Both sites would be completely independent.

Comment

Thanks Joe!

Comment