long time infopop / ubb.threads user, looking for a new home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long time infopop / ubb.threads user, looking for a new home

i've been using infopop / ubb threads forum software on various sites for more than 15 years. my personal site, rkmbs.com, has had the software for about 12 years now. while the service has done me well in its time, the lack of updates (and foreseeable future) has forced me to look around to viable alternatives. from what i'm able to see, vbulletin is the best option out there, in terms of being similar enough to what my community is used to, but also offering a number of improvements and upgrades.

i guess what i'm looking for is to be sold on the platform. is this the right move? can what we have at www.rkmbs.com (from skin to featureset) be easily converted and duplicated on vbulletin? what are the big key features that we'll be gaining? is a port of data from one to the other easy? are there killer perks we've been missing that you can educate me on?

I don't know what are your currently features installed. But after looking on your site vBulletin seems to provide everything you need (CMS, Shoutbox - as add-on).

Infopop UBB.threads 7.2 is supported in Impex (the importing tool) from vBulletin. Benefits are further developing of vBulletin, improvement in styling and overall look of your site (UBB.threads 7.2 was released five years ago), SEO-optimized, great add-on community, and so on.

What do you need to know in detail?

Comment

One of the biggest features you'll get from converting over to vBulletin is the expertise of the community here as well as the professional vBulletin Support Team.

Within the vBulletin community, you'll be able to obtain support to get your site up and running as well as styles, modifications and other things to customize your site to suit exactly what your needs require. vBulletin has a set of highly trained support staff on hand, which can aid you through the forums, over support tickets or even over the phone. Rest assured, you'll be in safe and welcoming hands if you make the jump from UBB to vBulletin.
      Aakif Nazir

Comment

thanks for the responses, guys.

first and foremost, i'd need to know that all the content on my current site could be ported over, which im sure is no small feat. every post, every thread, and every properly-associated user for the past 12 years. we're beefy! Other things my posters would look for: private messages, who's online, user-specific templates (so users can pick visual themes), etc.

Generally, as long as you think I can get it to match the look and feel of the actual forum part: http://www.rkmbs.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm (I'm less concerned about the portal landing page) then that would be good enough for me

Comment

also - what about a bold visual to indicate when there are new posts in a thread since your last visit? Something similar to how the STICKY threads appear in this forum.

On my current forum, threads with no new posts since your last visit are gray, and those that contain new posts are red - switching to gray as soon as you click through them.

Comment

well, i see that there's a private message / notification system, and I can pick my own template, and a current active / who's online bit, so that's good.

What about the other the new posts in thread indicator...?

Originally posted by drkknght View Post
            also - what about a bold visual to indicate when there are new posts in a thread since your last visit? Something similar to how the STICKY threads appear in this forum. On my current forum, threads with no new posts since your last visit are gray, and those that contain new posts are red - switching to gray as soon as you click through them.

Comment

You can do this with template edits.

Comment

is that an easy enough thing to do...?

If so, I think I'm ready to make the switch What's the best way to get started packaging up my data for transfer to the new software?

Comment

is the moderator queue stuff for holding a newbies post a selectable option in your local build...? because its pretty disruptive to a flow here, for someone actively looking to purchase!

Comment

i was pretty gungho to purcahse the software, too

Comment

Sorry for the lack of response.

You'll find information for importing your forum using Impex, the import tool in our manual: http://vbulletin.com/docs/html?manualversion=40200602
                      Note: The link showing informations for vBulletin 4.2.

There will be a new Impex-tool for vBulletin 5 Connect but it hasn't been released yet, so I have no information which forum systems will be supported.

Comment

after JUUUUST a bit of a delayed reaction .... I'm ready now

quick recap, I'm looking to get vbulletin 5.0 to host on my own server. As noted above, I have an old and pretty hefty UBB forum, running on ubb.threads v7.2. Can you give me an idea of the import process? Is it easy? destined for trouble...? Is the new impex tool better suited for my site?

Comment

drkknght00, I briefly surfed your site and will be registering soon. I like it. I use VB5 and I like it. I have had no problems customizing it both by purchasing custom styles and doing some of my own mods. If you are familiar with CSS, you should have no issues coming close to duplicating the look and feel of your site with exception of the added features. You'll have to work those in somewhere. I highly suggest you do a test installation and get it dialed in the way you want it before taking it live.

Comment

thanks, Replicant Think it'll be easy enough to get the content over from the old site to the new site? (the actual accountss, posts and threads, etc.)

Comment

I've not done it personally, so I couldn't tell you how easy or difficult it may be.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X